Student Services Officer 1
Job Family: Student Services
Job Series: Student Services
Job Code: 7501
Classification Level: F
Effective/Revision Date: 08/27/2015
Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description
The Program in Science, Technology, and Society (STS) seeks an experienced professional to perform a variety of student services duties related to student advising, course scheduling, academic curriculum, undergraduate event planning, and alumni relations. The incumbent in this position will also be responsible for resolving basic issues within student services using defined policies, best practices, and professional knowledge as a reference.
- Advise current and prospective majors on BA, BS, and honors requirements
- Track student fulfillment of major requirements and provide approval recommendations to Program Director for graduating seniors
- Contribute to development of marketing materials and strategies
- Coordinate prospective and new student orientation open house, alumni reunion event, prospective majors dinner, STS workshop for current majors, and other professional development opportunities for students
- Represent unit/department at all campus major nights/events;
- Train and supervise peer advisors.
- Administer degree progress and NCCA compliance certifications and run student data reports annually and as needed
- Manage alumni database and build ties to alumni community
- Review and administer student records, analyze data, prepare reports, and make recommendations and first level, routine decisions on basic issues.
- Provide recommendations to Faculty Director and Associate Director of curriculum updates, procedural changes and major requirements
- Contribute to identifying trends, needs analysis, participate in the implementation and testing of technology
- Collaborate with other staff to approve and resolve complex issues
- Provide general guidance and counsel on programs, policies, and services; participate in planning for future needs
- Contribute to developing and analyzing review process of offerings, policies and programs
- Serve as a basic information resource to other departments
- Participate as a member of a project team.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and one year of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Basic computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Basic analysis and problem solving skills.
- Customer service skills.
- Relevant computer systems/technology experience.
- Understanding of financial transactions.
- Ability to learn and understand compliance with legal, financial, and university policies and external regulations.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Frequently sit, perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Occasionally stand, walk, twist, use fine manipulation, grasp, use a telephone, write by hand, sort and file paperwork, lift, carry, push, and pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
The STS Office is located inside the beautiful Stanford Main Quad. The STS Office is shared between the Student Services Officer and the STS Program Associate.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
"Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job."
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 7501
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: F