Research Assistant, Computational Materials Scientist
3 days left
- Full Time
- Full-time, fixed-term 1-year contract based in RMIT city campus (with possible extension)
- Be part of an ARC funded research project focusing on the intelligent design of porous/composite materials
- Research project working in partnership with the team at Monash University and CSIRO
- Report directly to the Dr Ravichandar Babarao, Senior Research Fellow, ARC DECRA
- Opportunities open to Academic Level A (dependent on experience)
- Competitive salary packaging + 17% superannuation
As Research Fellow, you will be responsible to conduct research activities and work autonomously on the project that focused on the intelligent design of porous/composite materials for capture and release of targeted guest molecules. Your research will ultimately contribute to a granted ARC funded project and this position will provide you with an opportunity to work collaboratively and share expertise with the experimental team at Monash University and CSIRO.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work independently as well as collaboratively with the team in contributing to quality research showcasing research areas outputs publications, development of new research initiatives, preparing and publishing articles as well as presentation at conference and research forums
- Supervision of undergraduates' students
- Involve in varied administrative duties as required in this position
- Contribute to supervision and mentoring undergraduate and postgraduate students as part of your coursework teaching activities
Skills and Experience Required
- PhD qualified in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Materials Engineering or equivalent research doctorate in related field
- Proven experience in conducting molecular simulations on porous materials using Monte Carlo and molecular dynamics for adsorption and separation applications
- Ability & working knowledge in using software such as VASP, DMol3, RASPA etc for conducting first principles-based calculations and classical simulations
- Sound scientific programming skills i.e. using either Fortran, C, C++, python or Matlab
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to undertake independent and team based professional activities within the team and industry partners
- Possess excellent track record in gaining recognition through publications and presentation in conference and technical report writing and research experience within the field
- Strong organisational and time management skills to meet with the demand of workloads and competing deadlines
- Passion and ability to build strong relationships across all levels of professional staff within the organisation, and equip with strong technical report writing and verbal communications
Our people make everything at the University possible. We encourage new approaches to work and learning, stimulating change to drive positive impact. RMIT exists to create transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work. You will be a part of a productive and collaborative team, who values working relationships and outcomes through open and inclusive planning, continuous information sharing and transparent work practices
- Flexible working arrangements
- Be part of RMIT's academic life and attend various events and workshops
- Access to RMIT staff gym (including free Yoga and Pilates classes)
- 2% salary increase each year and annual leave loading of 1.35%
- MYKI pass discount
- Additional annual leave
To find out more, please visit our website: RMIT Employee Benefits
RMIT is a multi-sector university of technology, design and enterprise with more than 91,000 students and 11,000 staff globally. RMIT offers postgraduate, undergraduate, vocational education and online programs to provide students with a variety of work-relevant pathways.
The School of Science provides over 45 bachelor and postgraduate programs, and undertakes world class research across the disciplines of Biosciences and Food Technology, Chemistry and Environmental Science, Physics, Mathematical Sciences, Geospatial Sciences and Computer Science (Information Technology and Software Engineering).
Details relating to the School can be found at https://www.rmit.edu.au/about/our-education/academic-schools/science
For further information, please contact Dr Ravichandar Babarao at 03 9925 4285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, to view the position description, please click on the position description attached below:
Applications close on Thursday 20th June 2019.
Applicants are requested to upload an updated resume and a cover letter of not more than two pages highlighting the suitability for this position and your achievements. Applicants are requested to separately address the key selection criteria as outlined in the Position Description.
This role will require satisfactory confirmation of a Working with Children Check.
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to be a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.
RMIT was named as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality (EOCGE) from the Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA) in 2018 based on significant progress made in 2017, and Gold Employer status in the Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI) in recognition of our commitment to celebrating the diverse genders, sexes and sexualities (DGSS) of our community.
More searches like this
- Permanent Engineering & Technology Research Assistants / Officers jobs in Melbourne
- Permanent Physical Sciences Research Assistants / Officers jobs in Melbourne
- Permanent Chemical Engineering Research Assistants / Officers jobs in Melbourne
- Permanent Chemistry Research Assistants / Officers jobs in Melbourne