Computer Specialist (Systems)
Salary Grade/Minimum Salary:
15/ Minimum 47,900
National Strategic Planning & Analysis Research Center (NSPARC) conducts research and creates customized solutions in areas of economic, workforce, business, and community development
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Create, maintain, and support Windows-based and Linux-based computing systems.
2. Troubleshoot hardware and software systems.
3. Respond to and resolve ticket requests.
4. Prepare and maintain technical documentation.
5. Deploy software packages with scripting and automation tools (ansible, bash, python, powershell, etc.).
6. Coordination with network staff for support of network services, such as firewall, vpn, and routing.
7. Monitor system resources and resolve issues related to high resource utilization.
8. Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related area.
Substitution Allowed: Any equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
1. Experience with Microsoft Windows desktop and server operating systems.
a. Experience with Active Directory and Group Policy Management.
b. Experience with PowerShell and batch scripting.
2. Experience with Linux operating systems (CentOS/RHEL).
a. Experience with CLI, scripting (bash/shell), and software package management.
3. Experience with software deployment (Apache, NGINX, Tomcat, MySQL, JAVA, etc.).
4. Experience with operating system and application patch management.
5. Experience with ticketing system and end user support.
6. General knowledge of TCP/IP protocols and tools.
1. Experience with VMware (server and desktop virtualization).
2. Experience with Cisco UCS and HP Proliant.
3. Experience with Atlassian software (Jira, Confluence, Crowd, etc.).
4. Experience with identifying and remediating security vulnerabilities (operating system, database, applications, etc.).
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
Regularly involves lifting, bending or physical exertion. Often exposed to one or more elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc., with one often to the point of being objectionable. Injuries may require professional treatment.
- Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
- Job frequently requires standing, walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Job occasionally requires climbing or balancing, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting more than 100 pounds.
- Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants should complete online application at explore.msujobs.msstate.edu and upload a cover letter and current resume. Applicants should also submit two letters of recommendation (mailed by writers under separate cover), an official transcript for terminal degree and terminal diploma (provide English translation if necessary). Should any online submission contain a social security number, please redact them prior to submitting online.
Address all supporting materials and reference letters to:
Chair, Computer Specialist (Systems) Selection Committee
National Strategic Planning & Analysis Research Center
P.O. Box 6027
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Please email all queries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position contingent upon funding availability.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.