Communications & Events Associate
Job Title: Administrative Associate 2
Job Code: 4102
Non-Exempt, 50% FTE, Fixed Term through May 2020
Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description
The Center for Comparative Studies in Race and Ethnicity seeks an Events and Communications Associate to plan, execute, and promote the Center’s events and work. The role will be part of a highly collaborative team in the planning and execution of the center’s events, such as seminars, talks, lunches, and student-facing educational opportunities; as well as supporting the Center’s digital communications to promote the events and the work of the Center.
The ideal candidate has past events experience and knowledge of university or equivalent service ordering systems. The person in this role should also have a professional approach, strong organizational skills, be flexible to accommodate necessary late changes, and present a positive attitude and a good sense of humor when working with people. The communications work does not require advanced design or computer skills, but does require a good sense of design and a general comfort with web applications, social media platforms, and computer systems.
The position is benefits eligible and there is the possibility of it continuing beyond May 2020 depending on funding availability.
ABOUT THE CENTER
The Center for Comparative Studies in Race & Ethnicity (CCSRE) is Stanford’s interdisciplinary hub for teaching and research on race and ethnicity to advance racial justice. CCSRE houses an undergraduate program, Research Institute, and a dynamic set of community programs. Across its courses, programs, and events, CCSRE supports students and faculty dedicated to studying race and ethnicity. CCSRE students and scholars approach questions of difference, inequality, and inclusion from dynamic interdisciplinary, comparative, and multiracial/multiethnic perspectives across a range of subjects from the arts and humanities to medicine, law, technology, economics and more.
- • Draft and/or generate routine communications; coordinate production (formatting, copying, etc.) and dissemination of documents, such as presentations, course handouts, grant proposals, conference and seminar materials, reports, brochures, and displays.
- Design/format and create promotional materials, occasionally working with external professionals for this.
- Regularly produce digital newsletters, invitations and social media posts.
- Perform duties associated with scheduling, organizing, and operating conferences, seminars, and events, including recommending vendors for services, overseeing the production and distribution of materials, coordinating logistics, and serving as liaison with internal and external vendors:
- Design, plan, implement, and coordinate customized events.
- For larger events, serve as a member of a team, and contribute in a wide variety of functional areas including decisions around budget allocation, event logistics and facilities
- Coordinate general event requirements relating to AV and other equipment, signage, catering and space.
- Provide on-site support, such as check-ins, directions, equipment set-up, and event parking.
- Inspect event facilities to ensure they conform to the event needs. May inspect event facilities for maintenance, janitorial and fire safety issues.
- Plan and schedule guest/faculty/staff calendar(s) based on consultation, resolve calendaring conflicts, and arrange travel in compliance with unit, university, and sponsor policies.
- Provide general administrative assistance for CCSRE events - handle phone calls, emails, other correspondence, agendas and travel.
- Process and monitor routine financial transactions, which may include researching and resolving discrepancies.
- Track and report event expenses, process financial transactions as necessary.
- Manage registration and any budget changes relating to attendance.
- Maintain approved content on websites, lists and databases.
- Utilize and maintain the CCSRE website, databases, and mailing lists. May use specialized event planning software. Run reports and provide status updates.
- Respond to inquiries, solicit information, and determine and take appropriate action as required. Serve as a resource regarding a defined set of policies and procedures.
- Consult with stakeholders to determine objectives and requirements. Stakeholders include alumni, faculty, other staff, students and visitors.
- Evaluate and select vendors and providers of services considering stakeholder requests and requirements. Recommend equipment/software purchases where appropriate.
- May guide and train student and/or contingent workers including scheduling, assigning, and prioritizing workloads, setting appropriate deadlines, and reviewing work for quality and timeliness.
- Oversee university events services staff at site. May serve as project leader on smaller scale events, coordinating teams that plan, implement, and manage all aspects of events or manage program elements of larger scale events.
- May serve as the point of contact for reservations, general maintenance, health and safety, and other facility concerns regarding event space at CCSRE; report any incidents or potential safety problems to appropriate representatives.
- Manage bookings of CCSRE Conference Room and Library.
- Other duties may also be assigned
- Education & Experience:
- High school diploma and three years of administrative experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient computer skills and demonstrated experience with office software and email applications.
- Demonstrated success in following through and completing routine tasks.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills to successfully collaborate with a broad spectrum of contributing groups and customers.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Interest in design and communications
- Demonstrated success planning events.
- Knowledge of key event formats (e.g. job talks, evening receptions, student lunches, panel discussions, etc.).
- Demonstrated creativity, problem solving skills, taking initiative, judgment, and decision-making skills.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite, Google Docs and key social media platforms.
- Experience with the following tools may be helpful, but is not required
- Online registration tools, particularly Google Forms, Paperless Post, Stanford Forms, Qualtrics, Constant Contact.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
• Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
• A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
• A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
• Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
• Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application.
Final offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of national criminal background check, national sex offender registry search and, where applicable, driving record.
Job Code: 4102
Employee Status: Fixed-Term
Requisition ID: 83211