Clinical Documentation Improvement Manager
Duke University Health System is a world-class, Magnet-designated health care network dedicated to providing outstanding patient care, educating tomorrow's health care leaders, and discovering new and better ways to treat disease through biomedical research.
Duke University Health System is recognized as one of the top 100 places to work in healthcare.
Our Clinical Documentation Improvement professionals are exposed to robust institutional and physician support for quality documentation, access to an advanced electronic medical record system and state-of-the-art clinical documentation software. Currently, we are conducting a national search to identify clinical documentation professionals who would like to continue their career with Duke University Health System.
This position is responsible for managing the improvement, overall quality and completeness of medical records.
Specific responsibilities include:
Oversight and management of department operations and personnel. (60%)
- Provides leadership for the operational unit on a daily basis.
- Ensures monthly metrics are kept on each staff member and determines root cause when metrics are not met.
- Institutes coaching sessions or corrective action plans as necessary.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships as necessary to promote and support interdepartmental workflow.
- Interacts regularly with physicians, HIM and other ancillary departments to promote mission and vision of the Clinical Documentation program throughout Duke Health.
Communication with Coding Manager and CDI Director of case and resolution (5%)
Collaboration in planning, analysis, procedure changes, scheduling and related administrative duties. (15%)
- Directly responsible for all personnel action including, but not limited to, hiring, promotions, retention of staff, vacations, schedules, maintaining payroll records and time reports and terminations.
- Prepares, documents and conducts all performance evaluations.
- Facilitation of issue identification and resolution of team conflict. Monitors Work Culture initiatives. Effective communication to team and to administration regarding any barriers to success identified within the CDI department
Monitoring and reporting of quality and financial performance in collaboration with Strategic Services Associate (20%)
- Maintenance of accurate records of review activities to comply with departmental and regulatory agency guidelines.
- Participation in the daily work load and function in the role of Clinical Documentation.
- Specialist, if deemed necessary by team staff shortage.
Duke Entity PRMO
Job Family Level G3
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Bachelor's Degree in Nursing, PA (Physician's Assistant) or NP (Nurse Practitioner) or Doctorate degree in a medically related field Required.Master's Degree in Nursing or Healthcare preferred.
5 years of experience is required that must include 3 years acute care experience and 2 years CDI experience. Recent management or supervisory experience required. CCDS/CDIP preferred. Coding experience or certification is preferred. Experience with utilization management,coding, billing, auditing, and various healthcare payers is preferred.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Current licensure as an RN, NP, PA or licensure in the specific medical field associated with a Doctorate degree. CCDS or CDIP or CCS certification highly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written.
- Ability to analyze data, perform multiple tasks and work independently.
- Must be able to develop and maintain professional,service-oriented working relationships with patients, physicians, co-workers and supervisors.
- Must be able to understand and comply with policies and procedures.