Closing date: 26/06/2019
Salary: £20,000 -£23,000
Employment type: Permanent
Department: Law School -Law School
The Law School Academic Administrator will report to the Head of Law in Bristol but will be part of the Law School Programme Support Team and so their workload will also be managed by the Programme Support Managers. The purpose of the role is to ensure that all Law School programme support related administrative processes are properly set up and aligned across all programmes and to provide specific local administrative support in the Bristol office.
The work of the Programme Support team is organised into four broad areas of responsibility, focusing on the following aspects of the student journey:
Each area of responsibility is managed by a Programme Support Manager with support from Senior Programme Support Officers. The Academic Administrator will be required to work flexibly across these areas of responsibility as determined by the Head of Law and Programme Support Managers to meet demands in workload as and when required so as to effectively manage Law School students and ensure the smooth operation of all programmes.
BPP University Law School has a reputation for excellence in professional education built on a proven ability to offer students the skills they need to succeed in a legal career. Working with over 150 law firms, BPP prides itself on being at the cutting edge of professional legal education giving students the core skills and a competitive advantage to ensure success.
The Solicitors Regulatory Authority is introducing the Solicitors Qualifying Examination (SQE) and the Bar Standards Board is proposing changes to the Bar Professional Training Course. BPP considers that it is essential that BPP is positioned to offer the SQE across all its Law School programmes and deliver a market leading BPTC.
Core Responsibilities of an Academic Administrator (including but not limited to):
- Building expert knowledge in the Law School administrative support processes to work within a dedicated delivery team.
- Providing administrative support to the Law School Programme Support Team to effectively manage Law School students and ensure the smooth operation of all programmes.
- Supporting Education Liaison and outreach activities
- Assisting at Open Evenings when required
- Assisting with the induction of new staff and new freelancers
- Booking rooms
- Assisting with the accurate archiving of material
- Assisting with the organization of meetings, including minute-taking
- Dealing with confidential student data, including updating student lists
- Assisting tutors with reference requests
- Performing ad hoc office duties, such as printing, photocopying, collating, posting letters, filing, etc
- Acting as a point of contact for ad hoc queries from both staff and students
- Liaison with internal departments as necessary (e.g. IT, SRO, EAO
- Building a good understanding of all Law School administrative and support processes to allow flexible working across the areas of responsibility, as required.
- Other administrative support activities as and when required by the Law School.
- Providing support and assistance with the set-up and delivery of the student inductions.
- Providing support and assistance at student registration events
- Providing support to the Programme Leaders and Programme Support team to deal with surveys relating to timetable choices and student queries relating to group allocation and timetabling matters pre-registration and for managing requests for group swaps in the first week of the programme
- Assisting the Programme Support Team and Programme Leaders to ensure accurate student records are maintained including achievement and progression, programme information systems are maintained and updated and to manage student requests for timetable changes and group swaps during the programme.
- Providing administrative support for the set-up and running of student feedback surveys (EvaSys) and collation and distribution support across all Law School programmes.
- Assisting with the set-up, running and completion of follow up actions (e.g. preparation and circulation of minutes) of Staff Student Liaison Committee Meetings and student surveys on all Law School programmes.
- Providing administrative support for the conduct of Examination Boards.
- Assisting with assessment administration including, for example, script organisation and allocation, arithmetical checking, script-to schedule checks, photocopying scripts for external examiners (where required).
- Assisting with the set-up of oral and skills assessments (including mocks) across all Law School programmes.
- Assisting with the set-up of online MCT assessments.
- Assisting with the processing and recording deferral of assessments and assessment extension applications, and liaising with EAO to ensure the same are properly recorded in students’ records
- Assisting with the preparation for and smooth running of External Examiner visits
- Invigilating assessments as and when required.
Please refer to the full job description