Data and Research Analyst
Brief Description of PSU/School/Dept
Portland State University is Oregon’s most affordable public research university, located in the heart of one of America’s most dynamic cities. Our mission to “let knowledge serve the city” reflects our dedication to turning ideas into action — in Portland and around the world. The city is our campus, giving students unmatched access to career connections, a vibrant cultural scene and hands-on learning experiences with hundreds of community partners.
More than 27,000 students from all backgrounds bring diverse perspectives to our classrooms and campus life, from the tree-lined Park Blocks to the bustling Urban Plaza and state-of-the-art science labs. We are proud of our world-class faculty, groundbreaking research and international reputation for excellence in sustainability, community engagement and innovation.
For more information on the Office of Student Success, please Click Here
The Office of Student Success (OSS) is an administrative office that reports to the Vice President of Academic Innovation, Planning, and Partnerships at Portland State University. OSS is designed to improve the student experience and increase degree completion. The Data and Research Analyst supports student success assessment, research and strategy development activities in contribution to Portland State’s strategic goal to Elevate Student Success. Student success is the institution’s top priority, and this role will be critical in elevating and expanding our nationally-renowned success innovations.
The Data and Research Analyst is responsible for extracting, analyzing, and reporting data from both institutional and external databases; modeling, analysis, and interpretation of information; and employing data mining or analytics in support of decision making. Often this will involve quantitative data, but will also involve qualitative data at times. The Data and Research Analyst will be responsible for reporting on findings to the Office of Student Success as well as the PSU community and for assistance with the development of student success project assessment plans, and analysis of project assessments. This position specifically works on student success projects and initiatives that are supported by the funding received from the Association of Public and Land Grant Universities’ Transformational Change Collaborative grant.
In accordance with the AAUP collective bargaining agreement this position is open only to current PSU AAUP academic professionals. Article 17 Section 11 refers: Click Here
- Bachelor’s degree with experience working in a higher education environment or related field.
- Two years of progressively responsible technical research or statistical experience.
- Ability to write, speak, and present information clearly and concisely to a wide variety of audiences.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Excel.
- Demonstrated technical expertise developing queries and reports from relational databases and business intelligence systems.
- Experience assisting with the gathering, compiling, analyzing, and reporting of research information and statistical data plus assisting with the drafting of this information into narrative or statistical reports.
- Ability to complete assignments on time and with a high degree of quality and responsiveness and to take projects from start to finish with minimal supervision.
- Ability to successfully complete a background check.
- A Master’s degree and at least 5 years demonstrated and increasingly responsible work experience in reporting and data analysis.
- Experience with IBM Cognos, Banner, and Tableau.
- Experience analyzing data sets using SPSS, SAS, Stata, R, or an equivalent.
Key Cultural Competencies
- Creates an environment that acknowledges, encourages and celebrates differences.
- Functions and communicates effectively and respectfully within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities and cultural backgrounds.
- Seeks opportunities to gain experience working and collaborating in diverse, multicultural, and inclusive settings with a willingness to change for continual improvement.
- Adheres to all PSU’s policies including the policies on Prohibited Discrimination & Harassment and the Professional Standards of Conduct.
Contributes to a culture of environmental stewardship, practices resource conservation, and actively works toward achieving long-term sustainability goals.
Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm
Total Compensation Range & Benefits Statement
The starting annual salary rate for this position will be between $50,748 and $65,000. The starting salary may be negotiable above this range, however it will be dependent upon the knowledge, experience, skills and abilities of the chosen candidate, the budget of the hiring department, and approval from HR.
PSU’s excellent benefits package includes 95% premium paid healthcare; a generous retirement and vacation package; and reduced tuition rates for employee, spouse or dependent at any of the Oregon Public Universities