Dean - School of Artificial Intelligence
1 day left
- Full Time
Dean - School of Artificial Intelligence
Category Academic Positions
Type Full time
HBMSU is the first accredited online university in the UAE. The School of Artificial Intelligence is the first School of Artificial Intelligence in the UAE. HBMSU is making significant investment in a Dean of school and several new academic positions to support the School of Artificial Intelligence strategic development within the next five years to enable the University and the School to be a key player in the Artificial Intelligence knowledge creation and dissemination locally, nationally and internationally.
Description The Dean serves as the primary academic leader; he/she provides an ongoing creative and innovative leadership in alignment with the university model and strategic direction, the dean creates, supports, and executes a strategic vision for learner’s experiences including research and creative activity, instruction, and career development.
The Dean will be charged with the growth and building of a long-term vision for the direction and scope of the school. The Dean will coordinate the development and administration of academic and professional programs offered within the School, in a manner that facilitates and maintains the highest standards of education for learners in accordance with the mission, values, and goals of HBMSU. The Dean reports to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.
Deans of schools are appointed as full time faculty members with the grades, remunerations, and benefits that are offered by HBMSU to faculty in accordance with the guidelines of the HR Law.
Dean shall serve for a term of three consecutive years. The Dean will return to his or her faculty status if his/her appointment as Dean is terminated or not renewed.
The Dean of a school is chosen for his/her qualities of intellectual and administrative leadership and his/her academic distinction. In appointing Deans, the University seeks individuals who:
- Hold the academic rank of full professor
- A scholar of note and have credibility among their academic peers in an academic field relevant to the school.
- Have a proven leadership and management skills record in most of the areas included in the Dean’s job description.
- Tech-savvy and has experience in e-Learning or other forms of technology-enhanced teaching and learning.
- Fluency in English Language - Reading, Writing and Speaking. A good record of academic research, publications and income generation.
- Qualifications and experience in the School subject areas.
- Good communication skills and the ability to establish personal and professional credibility with internal and external constituencies.
- Managerial experience in international partnerships and industrial collaboration.
- Ability to develop budgets, plans and strategies.
- Lead the national and international accreditation of the School and its programs.
- Expected to offer academic leadership in the school and ensure the effective and efficient operation and that the highest quality standards are met. It is understood that this will include:
- being able to grow the school and its portfolio
- being able to promote smart learning and the use of ICT in education
- being able to plan effectively and to inspire and innovate;
- having a strategic vision for the school, and for the role of the school in the university;
Main roles & responsibilities
- Chair the school council.
- Take an active role in policies review, development, and ensure its systematic deployment within all areas throughout the school to ensure compliance, accountability, and efficiency.
- Contribute to the University quality and governance system and decision-making to enhance school and faculty’s management and governance.
2. School operations and growth:
- Provide ongoing creative and innovative leadership to the school and ensure the effective and efficient operation and that highest quality standards are met.
- Lead the development and implementation of the school strategic planning, action planning and budgeting, financial strategy to achieve University strategic goals and priorities.
- Ensure profitability and long-term financial viability of the school and all its programs and an appropriate contribution to University costs through supporting the Marketing Department in promoting academic programs and short courses, recruiting learners, and deploying staff and financial resources effectively.
- Supervise the performance of department chairs and facilitate their work.
- Plan, develop, and oversee the implementation of the timetable and the assignment of full-time instructional faculty according to the annual workload plan in collaboration with department chairs.
- Plan, develop, and oversee the progress of content development, usage, and maintenance.
- Work closely with various stakeholders within the university to foster a learners’ centric environment that is proactive and responsive to the learners’ needs and where learners are actively engaged.
- Oversee the academic advising through the school and monitor learner’s overall performance.
- Design, develop, and maintain course content related to his/her own teaching (with aid of instructional designer).
- Explain issues, direct comments toward the content and learning objectives, set up discussion forum, probes for learners’ responses that focus discussions on critical concepts, principles, and skills in his/her own courses.
3. Faculty and associate management:
- Manage faculty recruitment, development, workload, annual performance appraisal, promotion, and retention to ensure that the school is supported by a highly qualified and strong faculty community.
- Manage associate faculty recruitment, training and development, assignments, performance evaluation, and retention within established policies and procedures.
- Review and oversee the deployment of the annual workload plan for full-time instructional faculty that cover teaching, facilitation, e-content development, research, advising, committee work, curriculum development, accreditation, and community engagement.
- Promote and encourage the pursuit of excellence and innovation in teaching and learning, research, administration, and community services, including submissions to internal, national, regional and international awards.
- Establish and maintains a collegial, positive and healthy work environment that is conducive to achieve higher levels of performance.
4. Curriculum and accreditation:
- Enhance and grow a portfolio of innovative programs that respond to the needs of the 21st century in alignment with the university and country strategic directions.
- Seek and maintain local and international accreditation for all programs and offerings of the school in collaboration with department chairs, faculty, and CEG.
Foster a culture of research and environment within the school that encourage scholarly research activities and application for research grants among both faculty and learners in coordination with the Dean of Scientific Research and Doctoral Studies.
6. Community engagement:
- Explore, initiate, develop and sustain a range of affiliations and partnerships with industry, government, professional and wider community to support the university and school’s strategic objectives, activities, and programs.
- Build collaborative relationships with the learner body and other divisions and departments of the University.
Required qualification & skills
- Appropriate experience or expertise in a discipline relevant to the position in an academic development / management / equivalent role of not less than 5 years (as Dean, head of department, department chair, etc.).
- PhD. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Engineering from an accredited university.
- Specialized in Artificial Intelligence. or related fields with full Professor Rank.
- Successful experience in managing academic staff and act as role model.
- Ability to manage academic and support staff to achieve performance targets.Successful involvement
- in program development.
- Track record of effective teaching and research.
- Experience of managing budget and effective development and implementation of strategic planning.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to act corporately and work on own initiatives.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- High level work ethics.
- Problem solving and decision making.
- Teamwork and Time management skills.
- Multitasking and self-disciplined.
- Energetic and inspirational.
- Adapts to the social and cultural environment.
- Excellent IT skills (Social networking) and Pedagogical e-learning skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills in English language.