Husbandry Laboratory Technician, Mellon College of Science
Husbandry Lab Tech - Mellon College of Science-2012579
The Mellon College of Science (MCS) is home to four departments and many programs and research centers that cross disciplines. We approach scientific problems from fresh angles using creative interdisciplinary approaches while drawing on our departmental strengths in the core sciences. MCS faculty members are nationally and internationally recognized for their research in a variety of fields, including polymer science, cosmology, mathematical finance and neuroscience.
Our Mellon College of Science is seeking a full-time laboratory technician to work in the Central Vivarium. Your duties will be related to the care of laboratory animals.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Sanitizing dirty animal caging, and filling and setting up animal housing.
- Using and monitoring sanitation equipment such as cage washer and autoclaves, and reporting problems as they occur.
- Maintaining the facility up to all sanitation codes by washing floors, walls, etc.
- Feeding, watering, and changing rodent cages as needed.
- Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within Mellon College of Science. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
- High School degree or GED required
- 1 year of relevant work experience required
- Working knowledge of animal husbandry practices and procedures for common laboratory animals.
- Ability to load and unload caging, lift 50 lbs and ability to work with and handle small rodents required
- Ability to wear personal protection equipment appropriate for the species, animal housing conditions, or work area
- On the job OSHA Hazardous Materials Safety Training required
- Vaccinations and/or TB testing may be required.
- Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
- A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
- Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
- Department URL: https://www.cmu.edu/mcs/
Job Function: Research
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Time Type: Full Time
Organization: MCS DEAN'S OFFICE
Minimum Education Level: None Specified
Budgeted Base Pay: negotiable