Aquatics Coordinator, Sanderson Center
POSITION TYPE: Full-Time 12-Month
DEPARTMENT: 411505 - Sanderson Center
LOCATION: Main Campus - Starkville, MS
Salary Grade/Minimum Salary:
13 / $34,400
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Recruit, hire, train, schedule, supervise, and evaluate Aquatics student staff in the positions of Head Lifeguard, Lead Swim Instructor, Swim Instructors and Lifeguards. Actively incorporate Departmental Vision, Mission, and Values into staff training and development.
2. Develop, promote and implement a comprehensive Aquatics program. This includes the coordination of registration procedures, scheduling pool-parties, swim lessons, and special events.
3. Maintain records and reports of the day-to-day operation of the pool to include water clarity reports, water chemistry tests, maintenance schedules, repairs, and daily safety inspections.
4. Inspect and maintain all safety and maintenance equipment. Report major repairs to the Building Maintenance Supervisor and/or University Facilities Management; make equipment purchase and repair requests to the Business Manager.
5. Develop, direct, and manage water safety instruction programs. This includes American Red Cross swimming lessons, lifeguard training, and other courses as appropriate.
6. Implement risk management procedures to include pool safety and emergency action plans. Develop and facilitate training for program participants.
7. Work collaboratively with other departmental staff to define facility needs and schedule appropriately.
8. Develop, interpret, review and enforce policies and procedures related to pool operation and swim instruction.
9. Work with the Business Services Staff in developing and managing the Aquatics program budgets, payroll, spending, and revenue from external programming.
10. Work with the Assistant Director to create, implement and regularly review an ongoing 3-year plan for the Aquatics program to incorporate Divisional priorities as they relate to the Student Affairs strategic plan and student learning priorities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in recreation, sports management, higher education, or related field
- Experience: 2 years managing collegiate aquatic facility and staff.
Master’s degree in a related field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
2. Proficiency in written and oral communication skills and utilization of computers
3. Ability to foster a positive, cooperative work environment
4. Ability to plan, organize, and implement aquatics programs, services, and events
5. Ability to supervise and train student employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments
6. Employee development and performance management skills
7. Ability to work independently or as a member of a team
8. Ability to comply with all policies and regulations of Mississippi State University and enforce policies that apply to University Recreation programs and services
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Must be able to teach and train aquatics courses when necessary.
- Will be required to work in a natatorium.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu and submit a resume and cover letter.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.