Manager-RC Data Science
FOR USE BY UAB IT ONLY: To provide Data Science expertise to design, evaluate and deploy systems and projects. To design and implement platforms to deploy research services and transition these services from development to production using industry best practices. To interpret, organize, execute and coordinate various research assignments that require data science expertise. To formulate and conduct research on problems of considerable scope and complexity in collaboration with faculty and researchers. To assist faculty and researchers in the effective utilization of campus Research Computing (RC) resources by designing innovative solutions. To conduct research and analysis and present findings for review. To carry out complex assignments requiring the development of new or improved techniques and procedures. This position will commit to fostering an environment of heightened security following Information Technology Security Positions and participating in security training, such as Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPAA) and Family Education Rights and Privacy ACT (FERPA), on an annual basis.
- Provides expertise to design, evaluate and deploy research computing systems and serves as senior personnel on grants; Analyzes complex business needs presented by the user community and/or clients and recommends technical solutions.
- Oversees the UAB Research Computing environment including HPC and resources offered to support Data Science research.
- Ensures effective communication and marketing of Research Computing initiatives and projects with the campus, partners and community.
- Performs annual reviews for direct reporting leads and staff. Oversees all staff in the Research Computing group.
- Provides direction and guidance to Project Managers, Engineering Team Leads and staff.
- Fosters an environment of heightened security, stewardship and customer service to the staff including adherence to all applicable regulations such as HIPAA and FISMA.
- Manages cross team projects and manages several large projects a year.
- Assists in annual development and oversight of a budget greater than $5 million and assists in the annual equipment inventory process.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
(Annual Salary: $104,083.20 - $174,844.80)
Bachelor's degree in Data Science, Computer Science, Engineering or a related field and eight (8) years of related experience required. Work experience may NOT substitute for education requirement.
Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field strongly preferred. Doctoral degree in a related field is ideal. Desired experience will include design/operation of HPC clusters, storage, and networking; Contribution to research projects; working with vendors to show case and enhance new product lines; leadership and/or mentorship of technical personnel; and presentation of results at conferences with external partners to enhance solutions. Leadership skills, Presentation skills, and Project management skills are a strong plus.