The LAN Administrator II is responsible for administration, testing, maintenance, performance, implementation, security and support of various departmental LAN platforms, including the installation and testing of new software, operating systems (Mac OS, Windows), related utilities/services, and hardware products. The LAN Administrator II supports the integration of new products and /or software release upgrades into the current environment through the implementation of new enterprise standard images and software package distribution. The LAN Administrator II works as part of a Desktop Support team and is responsible for providing advanced technical support to approximately 900 departmental users, by investigating and resolving systems related problems. The LAN Administrator II is responsible for delivery, moving and installing devices and related software and documenting these changes in the device inventory.
- Will provide desktop computing support to clients, responding by telephone calls, emails, remote sessions and in-person requests for technical support.
- Will be a proactive team player, motivated problem solver, and inquisitive technician, engaged in finding new ways to leverage existing systems and integrate new ones.
- Will be organized and provide an excellent customer service experience for clients, both internal and external to IT.
- May be required to work off-hours in support of changes to systems.
- Documents project activities, system interruptions, configurations, and change management activities.
- Participates in upgrade planning.
- Assists with developing plans on how to integrate new updates into the current environment and provides input on the development of systems metrics and goals.
- Recommends changes in procedures or technical implementations.
- Evaluates business problems and revised operational procedures to identify potential enhancements to assigned systems to meet changing business requirements using technical expertise.
- Applies professional business/technical support concepts to provide support, consultation, and training for clients based on established departmental and enterprise guidelines.
- Prioritizes and manages multiple tasks and deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Properly escalates issues to Lan Administrator III, Manager, and other teams in keeping with departmental policies and process.
- Works to resolve more complex problems with supervisory guidance.
- Actively keeps current with developments in the field by reading, contacting colleagues, attending webinars, and other methods.
- Develops task estimates and implementation documentation in support of projects.
- Ensures timely attention to requests to meet service SLAs, in keeping with departmental processes.
- Diagnoses incidents/problems through discussions with clients.
- Simulates or recreates technical issues to resolve operating difficulties. Identifies, researches, documents, and resolves incidents.
- Able to make or recommend system modifications to reduce reoccurrences.
- Performs setups and basic troubleshooting of meeting/conference room AV equipment (computer, projector, digital whiteboards, and virtual conferencing systems such as Skype / Adobe Connect, and Polycom.). Other duties as assigned.
- Two years college coursework. Three years of related experience, including some desktop computer support experience.
- Additional education may substitute for required experience and additional related experience may substitute for required education, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
- Must have proven technical skills and demonstrated hands-on troubleshooting skills.
- Demonstrated ability to think and act independently.
- Expert in Windows and Apple desktop operating systems (Windows 7 and onward; Apple OS X and onward).
- Working knowledge of Windows Server operating systems, enterprise workstation deployment and configuration.
- Can backup Lan Administrator III role to perform basic Windows server troubleshooting tasks when required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required, especially the ability to listen and understand what is being described, with attention to detail in transcribing communications into the ticketing systems. Working knowledge of help desk ticketing system, such as ServiceNow, and remote assistance tools such as Bomgar.
- Familiarity with or experience working with the following systems in an enterprise environment:
- Enterprise desktop management systems such as System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM). Automated desktop imaging
- Microsoft Active Directory and desktop systems management.
- Application packaging concepts and technologies.
- Familiarity with SCCM Desktop Environment to include: Patch Management, Desktop Image Build Management, OS Testing and Application Testing.
Associates Degree or higher. Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) and/or ITIL v3 Foundation Certification.
Classified Title: LAN Administrator II
Role/Level/Range: ATO 40/E/03/OH
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Mon-Fri 40hrs
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Department name: 10003458-SOM Ane Acenet
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information
School of Medicine - East Baltimore Campus