Front Desk Manager, Office of International Education
Front Desk Manager - Office of International Education-2012518
The Office of International Education (OIE) has the responsibility for advising 8,000+ international students and 600+ visiting scholars. The office focuses primarily on immigration related matters, including advising and precise record-keeping as required by federal law while following CMU policies and procedures. Additional responsibilities include providing on-going coordination with university departments before and after student and scholar arrival, program development and implementation, policy development, advocacy, and special projects. OIE staff closely collaborate with university colleagues in various units including academic departments, the Career and Professional Development Center, the Intercultural Communication Center, University Health Services, Counseling and Psychological Services, and Enrollment Services.
Carnegie Mellon University’s OIE is searching for efficient, highly-detail oriented, friendly Front Desk Manager to support key aspects of dynamic and evolving office operations including reception desk operations. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who thrives in an interesting and challenging work environment. In this role, you will be responsible for ensuring the smooth operation of a busy reception area, creating a pleasant, welcoming, visitor experience, interfacing with and providing basic immigration information to international students and scholars and initial instructions to study abroad students, and for providing general administrative support to staff in the Office of International Education (OIE).
Core responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring front desk coverage during office hours; receiving and welcoming walk-in and phone customers; ensuring orderliness of front desk area, to include stocking handouts/forms; assisting with appointment scheduling; answering basic immigration questions as well as answering questions on non-immigration, study abroad, and procedural matters.
- Processing Immigration document requests and appointments; completing database checks, locating and filing paper files as necessary, distributing requests to appropriate staff, preparing federal-required letters for signatures, and contributing to process improvement.
- Receiving immigration documents from Homeland Security and conducting outreach to student/scholar for secure distribution; date stamping incoming mail, sorting and delivering to appropriate staff; assisting with outbound mailing of immigration documents.
- Assisting with department communications, professional development and other duties as assigned in service to OIE, Enrollment Services, and the broader CMU community through committee work, etc.
- Maintaining equipment on a daily basis to ensure proper operation of office equipment; adding paper; contacting repair personnel; changing and stocking toner for shared office equipment.
- Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within OIE. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
You should demonstrate:
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Composure and the ability to work well under the pressure of a busy environment;
- Ability to simultaneously handle multiple tasks, with a high level of complexity;
- Capability to prioritize tasks, exercise judgement and maintain confidentiality; and
- Willingness to assume responsibility and work collaboratively.
- Bachelor’s degree highly desired; combination of education, training, and experience may be considered.
- Minimum five years of relevant experience required; previous experience in higher-education, international students, or immigration processes preferred.
- Experience exercising discretion and maintaining strict confidentiality required.
- Proficiency with various computer applications, including databases and the full Microsoft Office suite highly desired.
- Carnegie Mellon is a private, global research university widely recognized as a destination for world-class talent from around the globe. The university is focused on attracting a diverse and inclusive community of students, faculty and staff where innovation, entrepreneurial thinking, and action are valued and fostered.
- Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
- A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
- Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
- Department URL: https://www.cmu.edu/oie
Job Function: Office / Administrative Support
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Time Type: Full Time
Organization: ENROLLMENT SERVICES
Minimum Education Level: High School/GED
Preferred Education Level: Associate's Degree or equivalent
Budgeted Base Pay: $13.00 - $24.00 / hour DOE