Salary Grade/Minimum Salary:
14/ Minimum: 41,000
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitors revenue and expenses for departmental or unit accounts; ensures expenditure control and compliance with funding and reporting requirements, university policy, and standard accounting procedures.
- Constructs routine spreadsheet applications, prepares financial data, and generates reports.
- Coordinates the preparation of regularly scheduled and special billings, costs reports, analyses, studies, inventories, and financial statements for local, state, federal and private funding sources.
- Reviews and approves expenditure, personnel, and purchasing documents for availability of funding, mathematical correctness, and compliance with university policy and state and federal funding requirements.
- Analyzes, reconciles, balances, and maintains accounting records; develops budgets and special financial reports.
- Prepares, reviews, and processes budget, revenue, expense, payroll, and related correcting entries and may prepare bank reconciliations of intermediate complexity.
- Instructs department members in unrestricted and restricted funding requirements and methods and provides information for budget development.
- May supervise and/or lead lower graded staff and/or student employees.
- .Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Accounting.
Two years of related experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of standard and/or fund accounting principles, methods, and applications.
- Ability to effectively communicate accounting information, policies, and/or procedures in a manner easily understood by the customer.
- Knowledge of computerized information systems used in financial and/or accounting applications.
- Account balancing and reconciling skills.
- Ability to set up and maintain financial accounts and ledgers.
- Spreadsheet software skills to quantify and illustrate routine financial reports, statements, and/or projections.
- Knowledge of general accounting principles.
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control procedures.
- .Ability to supervise and train assigned staff.
- .Ability to analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and/or projections.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- No unusual physical requirements. Requires no heavy lifting, and majority of work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
- Externally imposed deadlines, set or revised on short notice, frequent shifts in priority, numerous interruptions requiring immediate attention, unusual pressure on a daily basis due to accountability for success for major projects or areas of operation.
- Job frequently requires sitting, reaching, talking, and hearing.
- Job occasionally requires standing, walking, climbing or balancing, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 25 pounds. Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online. Please include resume and cover letter along with names and addresses of three references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.