Front Desk Representative
Criminal Background Check Standard Background Check
Motor Vehicle Background Check No
Restricted Position? No, is eligible for layoff or severance benefits.
Job Category Classified Staff
Working Title Front Desk Representative
Job Type Full-Time
Location Fairfax, VA
Pay Band Payband 2
Salary Low to mid-$30,000s; commensurate with education and experience
The George Mason University Office of Admissions is seeking an enthusiastic professional to serve as the Front Desk Representative for the high-traffic Johnson Center office. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
- Serve as the first point of contact for students who apply to Mason, greeting prospective students, their families, and other visitors to campus in a warm, professional, and competent manner. The incumbent will:
- Serve as the primary operations staff for the space;
- Greet all visitors to the office;
- Answer freshman, transfer, non-degree and graduate applicant questions;
- Provide excellent customer service to a diverse population;
- Keep reception area tidy;
- Understand when and how to escalate prospective student concerns to other members of the Admissions team;
- Collaborate with other team members across the university and within the Admissions Office;
- Assist and attend recruitment events as assigned; and
- Assist with various office tasks as assigned.
- Demonstrated customer service experience, a few years preferable;
- Ability to prioritize tasks in a hectic, deadline-driven environment often working on multiple tasks concurrently;
- Superior communication skills, including demonstrated ability to communicate with and facilitate collaboration across culturally and professionally diverse populations;
- Willingness to work with and mentor student employees;
- Computer literacy and willingness to learn new software applications;
- Proven ability to work positively as a team member;
- Previous experience working in an office setting;
- Comfortable working with diverse populations;
- Positive and proactive attitude;
- Astute in dealing with diverse constituents in an efficient manner;
- Works well under pressure;
- Demonstrate maturity and discretion in the receipt and handling of confidential information;
- Flexible attitude;
- Ability to prioritize tasks; and
- Available for occasional evening and weekend work.
- Experience in higher education is highly desirable;
- Familiar with Mason’s physical campus and surrounding area;
- Familiar with Mason’s admissions processes, campus offerings for students, and/or campus events;
- Previous experience with Ellucian Banner software;
- Previous experience with Salesforce CRM; and
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 02522z at http://jobs.gmu.edu; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
People choose to work at George Mason University for many reasons, and there are even more reasons why they stay for a career including the excitement of being part of a vibrant academic and professional community, surrounded by people whose ideas are shaping tomorrow’s news!
Mason embodies many things, but underlying it all is a commitment to flexibility, creativity, autonomy, and making a difference. Add that to a robust benefits package, a commitment to flexibility as well as work/life options, the opportunity for personal and professional development and you have a career in balance at Mason!
Enrollment is over 32,000, with students studying in over 198 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William.
George Mason University, Where Innovation Is Tradition!
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Campus Safety Information
Mason’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at http://police.gmu.edu/annual-security-report/