Assistant Director, Wellness
Vacancy Type EHRA Non-Faculty
Is Internal Transfer Only No
Working Title Assistant Director, Wellness
Anticipated Hiring Range $50,000-$60,000
Position Number 00008211
Work Schedule 8:00AM - 5:00PM, Monday - Friday; evening and weekend hours as required
Full Time Equivalent (FTE) 1.00
Department 244040 - Wellness and Recreation
Job City & State Raleigh, NC
Primary Function of Organizational Unit
Division of Academic and Student Affairs Mission, Values & Objectives:
- We promote the success of the whole student.
- In collaboration with our colleagues across campus, we prepare students to succeed academically, professionally and personally, to embrace a commitment to lifelong learning, and to become informed, engaged, and productive citizens.
- NC State Wellness and Recreation empowers the Wolfpack community to thrive. Together, we explore and grow in these six elements of wellness: purpose, financial, physical, emotional, social and community.
- We value movement and inspire behaviors that improve health and well-being. Our programs, services and facilities enhance academic success by assisting students in developing skills and resilience needed for college and beyond.
- Our mission is to inspire a culture of wellness by providing premier, innovative and inclusive programs, services and facilities that promote healthy, active lifestyles to enhance student success.
Essential Job Duties
NC State University is seeking an energetic, innovative, student-centered leader for the position of Assistant Director, Wellness. We seek an individual with proven leadership experience capable of working as part of a fast-paced, results-oriented team. The candidate will empower student and professional staff to create world-class health and wellness programs, services, and facilities that promote and enhance student success inside and outside of the classroom. This position reports to the Director of Wellness.
The candidate will provide dynamic leadership and manage the innovative Wellness and Recreation ThriveWell program which includes wellness coaching, Wood Wellness Village living and learning community, lifestyle modification programs, education sessions, outreach, and special events. This position will serve the university community by leading programs and services that promote a thriving Wolfpack community.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Provide overall leadership and direction for the ThriveWell program which includes wellness coaching, Wood Wellness Village living and learning community, lifestyle modification programs, education sessions, outreach, and special events.
- Support and maintain a culture and environment that supports and promotes the overall wellness of the NC State community which includes planning, implementing, and evaluating the ThriveWell program that focuses on physical activity, stress management, resiliency, anxiety, depression, sleep, happiness, and more.
- In collaboration with campus partners, provide leadership, training, and support for the Student and Employee Wellness Champion programs
- Organize campus-wide wellness challenges that include but not limited to Division of Academic and Student Affairs Wolf Walks program, Step To It university-wide walking challenge, and Sip, Sleep, Stand wellness challenge.
- Implement goals, expectations and procedures for programs, interventions, and services based on national data, trends, and best practices.
- Facilitate and instruct small and large group workshops, presentations and discussions based on student needs, interests and learning environments in curricular and non-curricular settings.
- Collaborate with campus partners that include but are not limited to Human Resources, Student Health Services, Counseling Center, Prevention Services, NC State Dining, and Student Involvement to develop and implement special events including Finals Survival Week, The Wolfpack Way of Life: NC State Wellness Fair, Fresh Check Day, and Healthy Campus Week.
- Lead the assessment and evaluation efforts for ThriveWell Programs each semester identifying participation levels, program participant interests, learning and development objectives.
- Assist with establishing a long-term vision and strategic plan of university wellness initiatives.
- Supervise two full-time staff members and indirectly manage 14 Wellness Coaches and Wellness Assistants (equivalent to more than 2 FTE).
- Develop, coordinate and execute wellness training opportunities for student staff focusing on student development, training and learning Manage the university wellness website content.
- Responsible for the specific and direct fiscal management of the ThriveWell Programs budget.
- Assist with the development and implementation of a communication strategy utilizing print, web, and social media that demonstrates wellness is a priority for NC State.
- Independently perform complex program development and implementation based on a comprehensive and evidence-based knowledge of health and wellness.
Assist as needed in all required departmental functions.
- Master’s Degree in public health, health education or a related field; if in progress must be completed within 90 days of hire and
- Two years of full-time professional experience with campus wellness programming planning and implementation in higher education.
Departmental Required Skills
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously with initiative, critical and creative thinking.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate, develop partnerships and work effectively as a member of a fast-paced, results-oriented team.
- Demonstrated knowledge of national trends and best practices in health and wellness programming.
- Demonstrated knowledge of theories and practices in promoting student development and learning.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience organizing and developing leaders through practical application and learning.
- Demonstrated success managing, supervising, and mentoring student employees.
- Demonstrated integrity, ethics, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Commitment to promoting healthy, active lifestyles.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
- Certified Health Education Specialist
- Experience supervising full-time professional staff
Required License or Certification
- Certified Health Coach (American Council on Exercise, American College of Sports Medicine, WELCOA, etc.) or ability to obtain within 90 days of hire; OR
- National fitness certification from American Council on Exercise (ACE), Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA), National Academy of Sports Medicine(NASM), American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) or National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) or ability to obtain within 90 days of hire OR
- Certified Wellness Practitioner (National Wellness Institute) or ability to obtain within 90 days of hire
Resume, cover letter, contact information for three professional references along with a completed online application are required.
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.