Postdoctoral Research Position in Epigenetic Regulation of Hematopoietic Stem Cells
Karolinska Institutet, The department of Medicin, Huddinge
The Department of Medicine at Huddinge comprises seven units, three research centers and, around 60 independent research groups. The Center for Hematology and Regenerative Medicine (HERM) is a research unit within the Department of Medicine Huddinge which brings together basic and clinical research competences to pursue cutting-edge research improving the understanding of mechanisms involved in normal and malignant hematopoiesis (https://ki.se/en/medh/center-for-hematology-and-regenerative-medicine).
Description of the research group and project
Dr. Sidinh Luc is an Assistant Professor at the Center for Hematology and Regenerative Medicine (HERM), at the Institute of Medicine, Huddinge (MedH), Karolinska Institutet (https://ki.se/en/medh/sidinh-luc-group). Her research group consists of 4 people and is now expanding with a senior scientist within the molecular biology field.
Dr. Luc was recruited from Boston Children’s Hospital/Dana-Farber Cancer Institute/Harvard Medical School to establish her research group and research program at HERM. The group is in a highly interactive research environment within cellular and molecular regulation of hematopoiesis that includes both preclinical and clinical research groups. The research focus of the Luc laboratory is to study the function and epigenetic regulation of hematopoietic stem cells in normal development using genetic mouse modeling, and cell and molecular biological methods on small cell numbers and single cell analyses (Luc et al., Cell Rep. 2016 Sep 20;16(12):3181-94; Luis and Luc et al., Nat Immunol. 2016 Dec;17(12):1424-1435. The project focus is to study the role of epigenetic regulators important for HSC lineage commitment using mouse modelling techniques.
Description of the position
Applicants are invited to submit applications for a two-year postdoctoral scholarship position, with an initial fixed term of one year, and with the possibility of a one-two-year extension (i.e. up to 2+2 years).
You will lead the research activity of the project(s) from beginning to end. Research activities involve experimental work in molecular biological assays, flow cytometry and in vivo mouse experiments. Due to the complexity of the research, the research activities are done in close collaboration with other lab members as well as collaborators within and outside of Karolinska Institutet.
- Organize, plan, perform and analyze experimental work
- Contribute with molecular biology or cellular biology expertise and leadership to junior members of the laboratory
- Work closely with other lab members on experimental work conducted in the laboratory
- Function as the lead contact with collaborators within and outside of Karolinska Institutet
We are seeking a motivated, responsible and results-driven researcher with a Ph.D. degree in the molecular biology or cell biology fields, to drive a new and exciting project within molecular regulation of hematopoiesis. The applicant can have a scheduled date for PhD-dissertation (in the mentioned subjects). In the latter case, however, the postdoc position can only be approved once the doctoral degree has been awarded. The head of the department determines whether their previous training and scholarly qualifications correspond to a Swedish PhD or higher.
- PhD degree, or PhD-dissertation scheduled, in which the latter require case verification from the Dissertation Committee (or equivalent body)
- Good proficiency of spoken and written English
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, including written and oral communication
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and quickly changing environment
- Goal-oriented and performance-driven
- Experience with mouse work (Function A, Felasa B)
- Experience in hematopoiesis or immunology
- Experience with next-generation sequencing analysis including RNA-seq and ATAC-seq, ChIPseq
Personal suitability will be a strong selection criterion.
The application must contain the following documents in English:
- Cover letter, including a summary of the Ph.D. studies (no more than two pages).
- A complete Curriculum Vitae, including date of the thesis defense, title of the thesis, previous academic positions, academic title, current position and academic distinctions.
- A complete list of publications.
- Verification from the thesis defense committee or the equivalent (only applicable if a PhD degree has not yet been obtained).
- Names and contact details of three references who are familiar with the applicants recent research and training.
The application is to be submitted on the Varbi recruitment system.
Karolinska Institutet is one of the world’s leading medical universities.
Its vision is to significantly contribute to the improvement of human health. Karolinska Institutet accounts for the single largest share of all academic medical research conducted in Sweden and offers the country’s broadest range of education in medicine and health sciences.
The Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet selects the Nobel laureates in Physiology or Medicine.
Pursuant to the regulations of the Swedish National Archives, applications are kept on file for two years after the appointment has gained legal force. The regulations do not apply to attachments that have been printed or otherwise published.
Karolinska Institutet strives to provide a workplace that has approximately the same number of women and men, is free of discrimination and offers equal opportunity to everyone.
For temp agencies and recruiters, and to salespersons: We politely, yet firmly, decline direct contact with temp agencies and recruiters, as well as those selling additional job announcements.
Type of employment Temporary position longer than 6 months
Contract type Full time
First day of employment According to agreement
Number of positions 1
Working hours 100 %
County Stockholms län
Reference number 2-2896/2019
Sidinh Luc, email@example.com
Belinda Pannagel, SACO, Belinda.firstname.lastname@example.org
Carina Eklund, OFR, Carina.email@example.com
Last application date 15.Jun.2019 11:59 PM CET