Instructor or Asst. Professor of Nursing
NMSU Carlsbad is a two-year branch community college of New Mexico State University and is independently accredited by the North Central Association. For 1998, 1999, and 2000, NMSU Carlsbad was the only two-year college in the state to be recognized consecutively by Quality New Mexico. NMSU Carlsbad has a student population of approximately 2,000 students, approximately 41 full-time faculty members, 63 part-time faculty members and 72 full-time staff members.
Under the general supervision of the nursing program director, the successful applicant will have full-time teaching responsibilities in assigned areas of the nursing curriculum.
• The successful applicant will have full-time teaching responsibilities in the areas of psychiatric, fundamentals, and pediatric nursing.
• The position includes the teaching of theory and clinical nursing, medical/surgical nursing including nursing lab, simulation, and collaboration in curriculum development. Teaching assignments are on a 9-month contract and includes 15 credit hours per semester in addition to duties associated with advising students, professional development, curricular enhancement, institutional governance, mentoring part time faculty and community opportunities are expected.
• Assume duties and responsibilities required of all faculty members including evening and weekend instruction as needed.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher learning in nursing. Must be willing to obtain Master’s degree within 5 years of hire.
• Maintaining licensure as necessary during employment is required.
• Current New Mexico license, or a compact state license, or eligibility to obtain a New Mexico license to practice as a registered nurse.
• Two (2) years clinical experience in an acute care setting.
•Master’s degree in Nursing • Clinical teaching experience
• Successful experience in teaching at the college level
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and a demonstrated commitment to the community college philosophy of education
• Show an appreciation for and understanding of the unique needs of student in both academic and vocational disciplines
Finalists will be asked to demonstrate their teaching skills during the interview process