Athletic Academic Support Specialist
The Academic Support Specialist will coordinate the Study Hall program and will also work as part of the staff in the implementation of the comprehensive academic monitoring of support programs.
In addition the Academic Support Specialist will provide direct advising services to student-athletes from assigned teams, including Men’s Basketball, and must be qualified to do the following:
- Provide personal advising counseling on issues ranging from academic requirements to personal matters affecting the university experience.
- Work with student-athletes on strategies to enhance their success at and eventual graduation from the university; including major selection, co-op assistance, and career counseling.
- Assist with development of programs aimed at improving retention and graduation rates for student-athletes.
- Work closely with the Senior Director and Senior Academic Coordinator in matters related to academic/athletic eligibility.
- Work as an academic mentor to student-athletes who are deemed at-risk by the SASS.
Specific problems or unique challenges related to this position:
- Ability to work closely with students of multi-cultural experiences and backgrounds; including international students.
- Knowledge of NCAA legislation regarding eligibility, recruiting and financial aid
Assisting educationally under prepared students and working with students who have significant challenges related to learning problems and/or disabilities.