Computing Support Analyst, Data Center Technician
The Data Center Technician will report to the UIT SLAC Team manager and work cross-functionally with the SLAC Data Center & Infrastructure (DC&I) team. The DC&I team is responsible for supporting the SLAC Building 50 data center, SLAC phone system, and the physical part of the SLAC network. The ideal candidate has a broad interest in IT as a whole, is a self-starter, and is a team player. This position’s priority will be to perform computing hardware installations, troubleshooting hardware, moves, and decommissions for a large variety of complex IT systems commonly found in corporate and research data center environments. These include, but are not limited to servers, clusters, data storage devices, consoles, network switches, routers and other voice and data peripheral equipment. In addition to physical hardware installations, this position will be required to install the various types of fiber and copper patch cables to bring solutions online. This position’s secondary priority is to provide endpoint support via the SLAC IT Help Desk.
- Rack, stack, cable and label network, servers and storage systems in a data center environment. Under the direction of the data center team or sys admin, load firmware, configure the BIOS. Familiarity with Dell, HP, Sun, EMC, and Netapp a big plus.
- Must be able to properly handle, install, troubleshoot, and remove copper and fiber cables.
- Must be able to safely handle, provision, troubleshoot, and decommission servers, storage, and networking equipment.
- Provide support to the data center break/fix technician, as assigned through ServiceNow.
- Following an established procedure (by the data center manager), adhere to proper media handling process, track and secure all loose media (whether new, available for reuse, or decommissioned), erase media so that those items can be reused
- In conjunction with your manager, provide input to data center project plans, plan as the OCIO teams plan their deployments and migrations
- Update ServiceNow tickets with detailed work logs as you complete your tasks. This will allow OCIO teams to manage Rackwise (data center infrastructure management tool), track issues , and provide information for OCIO teams to update data center maps.
- Under the direction of the Data Center team, provide requested information from hardware panels and data center equipment.
- Track supply (cables, connectors, etc.) and tool inventory to keep the data center running. Submit supplies requests to the data center manager.
- Provide feedback and input to the data center manager regarding OCIO documentation data center procedures. Document all of your work in ServiceNow
- Keep the data center safe and clean
- Assist with resolving site impacting incidents during the business day
- Receive incoming shipments
- Given the established process, provide requested information to the data center team. Follow established documentation/record keeping processes.
- Escort and accompany chilled water cabinet vendor for audit once every 6 months, or when there is a breakage.
- Patching endpoints under the direction of the IT Help Desk team lead.
- Build and deploy endpoints to the SLAC standard, and commonly deployed applications.
Education & Experience:
Associate degree and two years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively under general supervision of your manager. .
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to establish effective, ongoing relationships with clients, staff and management.
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities and work under pressure in high stress situations.
- Working knowledge of ServiceNow ticketing system, Rackwise DCiM X, MS Office 365, Confluence, and can utilize technology based tools desired.
- Experience with ITIL a plus
Certifications and Licenses:
CCNA certification would be a plus
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sit, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Occasionally stand/walk, use a telephone.
- Rarely writing by hand.
- Lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 50 pounds individually, 80 pounds assisted.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- Work occasional extended hours.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4731
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: G