Physician Assistant, Nephrology
Job Responsibilities and Expectations
This position has inpatient and outpatient components with the expectation that after orientation and training is completed, about two-thirds of the weeks will be on an inpatient service and one-third of the weeks will be in one of the Duke Nephrology outpatient clinic sites (currently Duke Clinic 2B/2C, South Duke Clinic -Crooked Creek, and Briar Creek Clinic).
Specific daily activities include but are not limited to:
- Pre-round on established patients assigned to the APP.
- Round jointly with the dedicated attending on established patients assigned to the APP.
- See new consults
- Record history, past medical history, social history, review of systems, exam, assessment and plan in Maestro and present case to attending on the service.
- Establish and follow plan of care in conjunction with MD
- Provide patient and family education in the context of daily rounds
- Order appropriate labs, tests and procedures and follow up with patient as needed
- Coordinate care and refer to other medical professionals as needed
- Review lab results in Maestro, communicate and interpret results
- Provide orders for dialytic therapies for patients with end-stage renal disease and patients with acute kidney injury jointly with the attending.
- See outpatients with chronic kidney disease independently with attending backup alternating visits with the attending.
- Review, interpret, and follow up on all labs ordered and communicate results and changes in regimen to the patient and referring provider
- Document visits in accordance with PDC policy, including having all encounters closed in less than 5 business days
- Arrange for and order iron infusion and erythropoietin stimulating agent injection in the Clinic 2A infusion center as needed
- Provide teaching to patients on renal replacement modalities and arrange for access placement and referral to dialysis providers and the Transplant Program as appropriate
Professional Leadership and Development:
- Role model advanced practice professionalism through conduct, communication, dress, leadership, ethical decision-making, critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Participate in at least one professional organization.
- Demonstrate responsibility for professional practice through active participation in the Department of Medicine, CAP Department, and professional organizations. Meet continuing education requirements as designated by the NC Board of Nursing or NC Medical Board (NPs and PAs, respectively).
Maintain professional certification.
- Maintain all professional requirements for licensure and certification.
Duke Entity MEDICAL CENTER
Job Family Level 55
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in Health Science and a Physician Assistant Certificate of Registration with the North Carolina Medical Board or be certification eligible, and be certified as a Physician Assistant by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants.
None required above education/training requirement.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE