Medical Licensed Practical Nurse, Private Diagnostic Clinics
Provide clinical care while supporting staff and patients for the Otolaryngology of Durham Clinic in a busy and fast-paced outpatient setting. Responsible for overseeing in a wide variety of duties in a Health System medical practice to ensure the office runs smoothly
- Perform a variety of tasks including: Taking medical histories and recording vital signs.
- Prepare and administer medications as directed by a physician
- Authorize drug refills as directed
- Telephone prescriptions to a pharmacy
- Perform other clinical functions as delegated and supervised by the physician
- Collect and prepare laboratory specimens
- Explaining treatment procedures to patients
- Preparing patients for examinations and procedures
- Obtain and scan medical records
- Process Instruments
- Assists providers with procedures such as ultrasound guided FNA, KTP laser excision, biopsy.
- Participates in performance improvement projects.
- Performs tasks such as set up for clinical procedures, high level disinfection & sterilization or other miscellaneous appropriate tasks within scope of practice
- Attain prior authorizations for medications and durable medical equipment as indicated.
- Float in clinic to cover patient and provider needs as delegated by nurse manager, health center administrator, charge nurse, or nurse team lead.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Good customer service skills.
- Work requires the ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions generally acquired through a high school education and medical assistant programming.
- Working knowledge of procedures and techniques involved in administering routine and special treatments to patients.
- Working knowledge of sanitation, personal hygiene and basic health and safety precautions applicable for work in a clinic setting. Working knowledge of infection control procedures and safety precautions.
- Age specific competencies
- Daily clinic preparation process; preparing daily clinic schedules, charge posting. Able to document and communicate pertinent information
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients and clinic staff
- Typing skills
- Medical terminology
- Ability to independently seek out resources and work collaboratively
- Previous experience in ambulatory care setting.
- Previous experience with pulmonary or allergy patient care.
- Previous experience with biologic medication administration such as Xolair or Nucala.
Work requires graduation from an accredited Licensed Practical Nurse program and successful completion of an approved Pharmacology program
One year experience as LPN strongly preferred.
Current State of North Carolina LPN licensure is required.
- Must be able to work under time pressures in a busy clinic/office environment.
- Must be present on site for 8 hour shifts during standard business hours.
- Must participate in group activities requiring interpersonal skills & cooperation.
- Must work as late person when scheduled or according to business needs
- Must be able to react quickly and immediately respond to emergencies.
- Must be able to handle multiple assignments, conflicting demands & priorities.
- Must maintain attention to detail over extended period of time.
- Must be continually aware of variations in changing situations.
- Must be able to move throughout office environment throughout day.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Must be able to push/pull 50 lbs.
- Must be able to carry 50 lbs.
- Must be able to reach for objects by extending arms.
Duke Entity PRIVATE DIAGNOSTIC CLINICS
Job Family Level C2
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires graduation from an accredited Licensed Practical Nurse program and successful completion of an approved Pharmacology program.
No experience required.