Technical Researcher, National Robotics Engineering Center
Technical Researcher, National Robotics Engineering Center (NREC)-2012471
The National Robotics Engineering Center (NREC) at Carnegie Mellon University has an opening for a technical researcher. We are looking for people can demonstrate proficiency in researching, reviewing and understanding scientific, technical and business topics. As a researcher, you are responsible for partnering and working side by side with all levels of the technical and business development staff. Successful candidates will be motivated, creative and analytical and have superior organizational and detail skills.
You will have an impact in shaping the robotics revolution, collaborate with and learn from experts, and build your career in a very fast-growing field. As part of our team, you will develop solutions to solve industrial and government challenges, deploy your technology in real-world situations, work side-by-side with elite robotics experts, and develop a variety of cutting-edge technologies.
Have an Impact! Take Control of Your Career!
- Remove waste from farming = more food (link)
- Make industrial processes environmentally friendly (link)
- Make hazardous jobs safer (link)
- Improve efficiency in industry & manufacturing (link)
- Accelerate screening of pharmaceuticals (link)
- Select the career pathway that interests you
- Influence the direction of projects
- Supportive of a non-standard schedule
- Maintain work/life balance
- Switch between part-time and full-time as life demands
NREC is at the center of the robotics ecosystem in Pittsburgh, PA. With over 60 robotics companies, Pittsburgh has become the robotics capital of the world. Geek Wire calls it Robotics Row; others call it Roboburgh. Join the leader in the most exciting time in robotics!
Join the best robotics R&D group
Join our talented team at NREC, an operating unit within the world-renowned Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University. NREC has 20+ years of experience and is globally renowned for developing and deploying robots into many applications across multiple sectors, such as agriculture, mining, defense, energy, and manufacturing. We strive to provide solutions for real world challenges where automation and robots have greater impact on productivity and improve the safety and comfort of the labor force. Our unique expertise places us at the forefront of unmanned ground vehicle design, autonomy, sensing and perception, machine learning, machine vision, operator assistance, 3D mapping and position estimation. With over 120 robotics professionals, we can solve challenges that no other organization can.
NREC also leads in educational outreach through its Robotics Academy, which builds robotics curricula and software for K-12 and college-level students.
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Work with the Study Group to provide technical research that will contribute to the study development process.
- Technical research on components, process, stock parts, etc that are critical for success in a study.
- Clear presentation of technical content to study team
- Technical write-ups that assist with study development
- Technical write-up of new IP developed during study for patent/IP disclosure
- Assist with creating technical diagrams/visuals as needed for either study deliverables or IP/Patent disclosures
We especially want to hear from you if you have experience or qualifications in ANY of the following areas:
- Assist Business Development with pre-study research when we interact with new clients
- Get detailed data on customer’s company and current processes
- Get deep understanding of the application space
- Provide a top level analysis of other companies/solutions in the space
- Assist Business Development and Project Management team with technical writing and/or marketing writing
- Assist with writing and/or editing of deliverables (i.e. editing slide pack for studies)
- Assist with writing of reports, user manuals, etc.
- Assist with writing of marketing materials.
- Master’s degree required
- 1-3 years of relevant research experience
- Strong problem-solving, reasoning, and oral/written communications skills
- At NREC, we value diversity, support it, and thrive on it for the benefits of our organization, our employees and our community.
- Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Job Function: Research
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Time Type: Full Time
Minimum Education Level: Master's Degree or equivalent
Budgeted Base Pay: Negotiable