Head of Government Relations
- Work for a sustainable, forward-thinking University
- Salary + 17% superannuation + leave loading + bonus up to 10%
- Flexible working conditions - Kensington Campus + Canberra travel
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
The Global Profile & Reputation (GPR) Unit is responsible for harnessing communications and creative capability to help UNSW reach key audiences in a way that positions UNSW as a global leader in higher education and meets key strategic goals. One of GPR’s most critical functions is the delivery of quality Corporate Communications – encompassing all external and internal communications, stakeholder engagement, government relations and reputation and brand management capabilities.
UNSW is seeking a resilient and hardworking Head of Government Relations who will lead a strategic and integrated team to support the UNSW 2025 Strategy by ensuring all government opportunities are pursued and the relevant academic and professional staff are informed about local, state and federal government policy initiatives, funding opportunities and potential partnerships.
As the Head of Government Relations, you will ensure the Vice-Chancellor, Management Board members and other senior UNSW Leaders are cognisant of existing and emerging themes, trends and developments.
The Head of Government Relations reports to the Director of Corporate Communications & Government Relations and has two direct reports.
About the role
- Identify funding, partnership and/or other strategically aligned opportunities or policy initiatives that exist at all levels of government – local, State and Federal.
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of UNSW’s distinctive strengths and capabilities that are capable of being promoted to political stakeholders in line with existing or emerging government policy developments.
- Pro-actively monitor all key policy initiatives that are likely to impact on UNSW or create strategic opportunities for advancing the University local, nationally and internationally.
- Develop and maintain ongoing dialogue, planning, and communication with the Office of the President and Vice-Chancellor, ensuring consistent messaging and engagement activities – especially with the Principal Speechwriter.
- A relevant tertiary qualification and depth of subsequent relevant experience or an equivalent level of knowledge gained through any combination of education, training and experience.
- Proven record of developing successful government relations strategies and plans and leading the implementation to deliver enhanced engagement within the Higher Education sector or similar.
- Proven record of government relations, familiarity with the political engagement at a senior level and/or other industry-related work.
- Superior networking, interpersonal, stakeholder management and negotiation skills with an ability to influence senior management.
Please submit your CV and cover letter outlining your suitability to this role.
Talent Acquisition Consultant
E: firstname.lastname@example.org * Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed.
Applications close: Sunday 26th May at 11pm
UNSW aspires to be the exemplar Australian university and employer of choice for people from diverse backgrounds. UNSW aims to ensure equality in recruitment, development, retention and promotion of staff, and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their gender, cultural background, disability, sexual orientation or identity. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria to apply.