Research Associate, Horticultural Unit
Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Area of Specialization:
Plant physiology (vegetable)
Off-campus. The individual will be a staff member of the North MS Research and Extension Center, Verona, MS and be housed in the Horticulture Unit. This 511-acre research facility is a premier information source for the Mississippi vegetable industry and contributes research results throughout the world. Resources include office and staff, four greenhouses, two wet and dry labs, and analytical and plant physiological instrumentation. The experiment station is located near Tupelo, MS a major business hub. Additionally, the experiment station is strategically located near up and coming small and commercial vegetable production and is in constant communication with innovative growers and other scientist across the United States.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Research and laboratory tasks related to plant environmental stress physiology, plant hormone physiology, precision irrigation and sensor technologies, controlled environments, greenhouse hydroponics, and evaluating management practices to develop a decision support system. Duties and responsibilities will also include:
1. Plans, coordinates, and conducts scientific research requiring judgment in the independent evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard scientific techniques.
2. Applies an analytical approach to the solution of a wide variety of problems, or applies specialized techniques or ingenuity in selecting and evaluating approaches to unforeseen or novel problems.
3. Demonstrates and applies thorough understanding of scientific methods, research protocols, assessment instruments, and data interpretation.
4. Designs, performs, and/or oversees experiments and data collection to ensure data integrity, quality control, and protocol compliance.
5. Collects, analyzes, and interprets data; prepares statistical and narrative reports and/or graphs, as appropriate to the specific position; prepares manuscripts for peer-reviewed publication; presents research results to scientific conferences and other groups.
6. Independently performs most research assignments with instructions as to the general results expected; receives guidance on unusual or complex problems.
7. Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
8. Maintains currency of knowledge with respect to relevant state-of-the-art technology, equipment, and/or systems.
9. May lead, guide, and train staff/student employees, interns, and/or volunteers performing related work; may participate in the recruitment of volunteers, as appropriate to the area of operation.
10. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Rank and salary will be commensurate with education/experience of the candidate.
The candidate should have a Bachelor’s degree in plant sciences (plant biology/ biochemistry/horticulture/agronomy/) or related field.
Master of Science (MS) degree in plant sciences (plant biology/ biochemistry/horticulture/agronomy/) or related field.
Also, the qualified individual should have excellent written and verbal communication skills to interact effectively with faculty, extension staff, producers, and the general public.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of scientific approach and methodologies.
2. Ability to develop and follow research methodology and protocol.
3. Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
4. Knowledge of current technological developments/trends in area of plant physiology.
5. Knowledge of scientific research principles, practices, and protocols.
6. Ability to design, organize, and coordinate scientific research projects.
7. Knowledge and field/laboratory skills to work in sustainable agricultural practices
8. Computer skills for data analysis (MS excel; SAS) are also expected.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
1. Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions.
2. Physical effort is required and the ability to lift over twenty pounds.
3. Work is normally performed in an agricultural field, greenhouse, and laboratory environment.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu. Please complete the professional application and submit a current curriculum vitae (C.V.), cover letter/letter of application, official transcripts, and provide contact information for three professional references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.