Assistant Director, Development and Alumni Relations
The ASSISTANT DIRECTOR, DEVELOPMENT at The Fuqua School of Business is a member of the Development and Alumni Relations team and a frontline fundraiser for the school. The Assistant Director identifies, cultivates, and solicits individual prospects and leadership donors through individual outreach (virtual and in-person) with a special focus on securing multi-year, leadership donor-level commitments of $1,000 a year and above. This position reports to the Senior Associate Director, Development and collaborates with the Development and Alumni Relations department (DAR) and other Fuqua and Duke University departments on overall strategy, initiatives and events.
- Travel approximately 15 times a year to cultivate, solicit, and close new and established leadership donors with the goal of 100 in-person meetings or meaningful interactions.
- Utilize telephone, videoconference, e-mail, and new media to cultivate, solicit, close, and steward new and established leadership donors.
- Support the growth of the school’s major gift prospect pipeline by identifying donors who have the capacity and inclination to support the school at a greater level.
- Collaborate with other Development & Alumni Relations staff to transition donors and volunteers to new gift levels or volunteer activities.
- Stay continuously up to date on Fuqua’s strategic vision and opportunities for philanthropic support, taking advantage of opportunities to learn within Fuqua and across Duke.
- Communicate philanthropic support priorities to donors.
- Attend and participate in Development & Alumni Relations events and activities.
- Collaborate with gift officers from other Duke University schools and units, including Duke’s central development function, on cultivating and soliciting multi-interest prospects.
- Utilize university-wide prospect tracking systems to assure efficient and well-coordinated effort.
- Write reports on prospect activity.
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred.
- Relevant experience; experience in alumni relations, higher education, or a customer-facing role.
- Knowledge of the Fuqua School of Business or Duke University preferred.
- Demonstrated sales or fundraising experience and the ability to articulate the importance of unrestricted support.
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines simultaneously, working both independently and as a team member.
- Impeccable customer service skills.
- Refined written and oral communication skills.
- Experience and comfort in interacting with students, alumni, and parents, including senior-level executives and other successful alumni with significant giving capacity.
- Exceptional ability to think strategically and analytically.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, sound judgment, and experience and discretion in handling confidential information.
- Proficiency with Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Willingness and ability to master SAP-based database tools.
- Strong work ethic in a fast-paced, results-oriented team environment.
- Creativity, adaptability, diplomatic skills, and sense of humor.
- Willingness to travel frequently and work on evenings or weekends as necessary.
Note: The above job description is not to be construed as a complete listing of assignments that may be given to any employee, nor are such assignments restricted to those precisely listed in this description.
Duke Entity UNIVERSITY
Job Family Level 12
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires communications, analytical and organizational skills generally acquired through completion of a bachelor's degree program.
Work requires one year of experience in alumni affairs, public relations, fund raising, sales and promotions, marketing, student activities or a related field in order to acquire skills necessary to administer and coordinate annual fund solicitations and other special fund raising activities.A bachelor's degree from Duke University may be substituted for the required year of experience since the familiarity with the University and contacts with current students and recent graduates would be directly relevant to the job.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE