The University Health Service
The University Health Service (UHS) provides high quality health care services to The University of Michigan Students along with some Faculty/Staff. UHS is actively seeking compassionate, enthusiastic and patient-focused individuals who will share in the goal of patients and families first.
Why work for the University of Michigan?
You will play an integral role within our institution, and are important to providing the highest quality service to patients and their loved ones. We are eager to assist you in becoming a well-rounded employee and individual, and to help you advance in your career. Don’t hesitate – join our team today, and help us provide remarkable assistance to our patients in the Ann Arbor area.
What perks and benefits can you look forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings up to 5% of your contribution after 1 year of service
- 75% Tuition Reimbursement
- Generous Vacation Time, Sick Time, and Seasonal Days
- Management that provides quality training and direction
- Strong partnerships with Physicians and Advanced Practice Providers (APP)
UHS Mission: University Health Service promotes and protects the health and well-being of students and the broader campus community in order to enable individuals to better achieve their educational and personal goals.
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future. The University of Michigan is committed to foster learning, creativity and productivity, and to support the vigorous exchange of ideas and information, not only in the classroom but in the workplace by:
Creating a work environment in which people treat each other with respect and dignity, regardless of roles, responsibilities or differences.
Providing support, direction and resources enabling us to accomplish the responsibilities of our jobs and to reach the goals that are set for professional and personal growth.
What skills will you master?
As a Medical Assistant for University Health Services, you will have the unique opportunity to provide care for U of M students, faculty, and staff. This position is conveniently located on campus near downtown Ann Arbor and minutes from the main hospital. Not only will you have the ability to showcase and fine tune your skills as a Medical Assistant, you will also have an opportunity to build strong relationships with Physicians and Advanced Practice Providers. In this role you will be responsible for:
- Rooming patients and completing intake form with them
- Performing ear irrigations, suture/staple removal, EKGs, casting/splinting, ankle taping, urine drug screens and other point of care testing
- Ordering and maintaining inventory
- Assisting in the delivery of direct care and supporting operational functions
- Acting as chaperone during sensitive patient examinations such as PAP smears, breast exams, STI checks, full-body mole checks, etc.
- Obtaining Vitals with annual examinations and diagnostic/therapeutic treatments including assisting with procedures
- Providing routine patient prep instructions for some procedures
- Observing patient status, report changes, and document accordingly
- Performing quality control/assurance for CLIA waived testing
- Communicating necessary information to assist with nursing care
- Instructing patients and families according to teaching plan established by a clinician
- Opening and closing clinic according to guidelines
- Problem-solving patient flow issues
- Stringently using infection control guidelines for patient rooms and equipment
- Disinfecting and maintaining medical equipment
- Preparing medical instruments for transport for high level disinfection
- Administering injections appropriate to clinic protocols or by defined orders in the EMR, including, but not limited to immunizations
- Participating in QI activities
- Various other duties deemed clinically appropriate and within scope of practice designated by clinical staff and/or supervisor/designee
- Graduation from a Certified Medical Assistant Program or demonstrated combined equivalent of education and work experience in a Medical Assistant role
- Able to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, busy environment
- Able to take direction from multiple disciplines
- Flexible to work between multiple areas
- Communicate appropriately with patients, families, and members of the healthcare team
- Must be able to work occasional overtime, based on patient care needs
- Desired Qualifications*
- Previous experience as a Medical Assistant or a health-related assistant
- CMA or RMA Certification
- Previous experience with MiChart (EPIC)
- Recent Ambulatory care experience within the last 2-3 years
- Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion (DEI) training
- Bi-lingual or multi-lingual skills
This is a full-time, 40 hours per week position. Your schedule will be 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM, Monday through Friday and the occasional Saturday rotation working 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM. Summer and some holiday hours change with no Saturday rotations.
University Health Service
207 Fletcher St
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
You will be required to do some moderate standing and walking, as well as lift, position, push, and/or transfer patients.
You will be trained within the department by one of our tenured Medical Assistants.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.