Research Development Associate, Engineering Research Accelerator
Research Development Associate, Engineering Research Accelerator-2012435
College of Engineering at Carnegie Mellon University is seeking to fill a Research Development Associate (RDA) position in Engineering Research Accelerator with primary responsibility for working with College of Engineering faculty pursuing externally funded grants and awards. The Research Development Associate works with faculty under the guidance of Associate Dean for Research, Chief Partnership Officer and the Dean to facilitate the preparation of successful major grant applications, including the coordination of large multi-investigator, multi-disciplinary research proposals. You are primarily responsible for identification and cultivation of ideas, Principal Investigators and teams, and writing as necessary, culminating in full proposals that address the requirements of the given solicitation. You will be assisted by other project management, content development and pre-award personnel as part of the Research Accelerator Office.
You must have a demonstrated ability to develop and motivate partnerships on multidisciplinary projects, ability to work independently, self-motivate and focus their targets on winning proposals.
Your core responsibilities will include:
Identify solicitations well in advance and facilitate recruitment and organization of faculty groups to capitalize on funding opportunities. Develop a comprehensive understanding of Carnegie Mellon’s College of Engineering’s capabilities and strengths and connect researchers with funding opportunities and research resources.
Manage every aspect of large-scale proposals by working with the faculty team and the research administration support staff, allowing ample time for the proposals to be written, assembled, checked, proofread and submitted within required deadlines. Help in drafting non-technical sections and consolidation.
Work with individual faculty in strategic areas and junior faculty in developing responses to specific calls.
- Phd in Engineering/Sciences preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience in research development activity and technical writing and editing required.
- Prefer experience with writing and preparing Request for Proposal responses to government agencies for research and development contracts.
- Excellent organizational/planning skills and attention to detail.
- Strong communicator with ability to successfully network with internal/external constituents
- Strong ability to work in team-based environment to achieve common goals
- Strong ability to synthesize concepts and requirements
- Ability work both independently and collaboratively within diverse settings
- High degree of energy, creativity, flexibility, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to facilitate collaborator interactions.
- Ability to prioritize multiple complex projects
- Well-developed interpersonal and liaison and communication skills, including the ability to interact effectively with a broad group of stakeholders both internal and external.
- Ability to work and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Must be able to travel around the country for up to a week at a time
- Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
- A listing of employee benefits is available at: http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/index.html
- Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Job Function: Project / Program Management
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Time Type: Full Time
Organization: ICES:INSTITUTE FOR COMPLEX ENGINEERED SYSTEMS
Minimum Education Level: Bachelor's Degree or equivalent
Preferred Education Level: Doctorate or equivalent
Budgeted Base Pay: $75,000 - $105,000 per year