Department Career Services
Recruitment Type Open to All
Job Type Full-Time
Monthly Salary $4,000
Job Category Exempt
Applicants must specifically address how they meet these required qualifications to meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates must have a master’s degree in counseling or related area.
- Knowledge and skills expected in: Counseling theory and techniques; career development and practice; job market trends; counseling, outreach and presentations with a diverse student population; professional ethics; and career assessment.
- At least one year counseling within a university population, preferably within a centralized career services office. On track toward LPC certification.
- Candidate should be generally familiar with the structure of a university’s Student Affairs component and have experience presenting career services to students within that context.
This position will assist the Assistant Director, primarily in counseling students in their career development and decision-making, and contributing to the marketing of those services.
- Responsible for providing a wide range of career counseling services to the diverse Texas State community of first-year students in the PACE program.
- Provide individual career counseling, often on a continuing basis, for issues such as occupational information, choosing a major, goal-setting, internships, graduate school, professional preparation, and transition issues.
- Keep confidential case files. Understand relevant online tools, databases.
- Administer and discuss career assessments.
- Recognize the need to refer students to Counseling Center and other mental health resources. Make referrals to other departments and agencies as needed.
- Develop and present career and professional development workshops and other presentations for students, faculty, and staff.
- Participate in case conferencing and other professional development opportunities, aimed at improving full-time and part-time staff’s career counseling skills. Help track and assess area performance.
- Help Assistant Director in recruitment, training, and support of graduate counselors, as well as other outreach, resource development, and research.
- Work collaboratively with Career Services and PACE staff to improve student career opportunities. Serve on university teams and committees, as requested.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Information to Applicants
Applicants should be prepared to bring a certified transcript if called for an interview.
YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO ELECTRONICALLY ATTACH A RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO YOUR APPLICATION.
Legal and Required Notices
Texas State University, to the extent not in conflict with federal or state law, prohibits discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
Employment with Texas State University is contingent upon the outcome of record checks and verifications including criminal history, driving records, education records, employment verifications, reference checks, and employment eligibility verifications.
Texas State University is a tobacco-free campus. Smoking and the use of any tobacco product will not be allowed anywhere on Texas State property or in university owned or leased vehicles.
Texas State University is a member of the Texas State University System. Texas State University is an EOE.
Texas State is committed to increasing the number of women and minorities in administrative and professional positions.
Why work @ Texas State?
- Amazing health insurance: various coverage options starting your first day of employment for full-time employees with Texas State paying 100% of the employee premium and 50% for your dependents!
- Generous paid time off: vacation, holidays, sick days and many more!
- Excellent work life balance resources: mother and family-friendly resources in addition to a comprehensive FREE wellness program
- Great professional development opportunities: choose from a variety of workshops, training, online learning and even access educational leave opportunities and reimbursement for academic courses
- An inclusive Bobcat community: join our many social networks offered on and off-campus
- Retirement peace of mind: TRS pension, retirement plans and voluntary saving options with generous employer contributions
By joining the Texas State Bobcat team, you’ll be a part of one of the most beautiful, diverse, and growing universities in the nation.