Mcity Lab Manager
- Full Time
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Mcity is a public-private partnership formed at U-M to transform global mobility by dramatically improving transportation safety, sustainability, and accessibility. Mcity draws on the broad expertise of U-M and its partners to address the host of legal, political, social, regulatory, economic, urban planning, and business issues that must be addressed to devise and implement practical systems that take advantage of emerging technologies. Mcity also provides testing at our one-of-a-kind proving ground, simulating the complexities of an urban environment, and through on-road vehicle deployments in Ann Arbor and Southeast Michigan, working with our partners including the U-M Transportation Research Institute.
Mcity runs several laboratories and CAV (Connected / Automated Vehicle) research programs. We are looking for an individual to lead the team responsible for these labs, overseeing operations as well as planning and coordinating improvements and new initiatives, and ensuring we are meeting the needs of the research and industrial partners who use the labs. This position will report to Mcity’s Deputy Director. If you relish the thought of pushing the limits of current mobility technology, enjoy the challenge of supporting the diverse needs of world-class research teams, and want to play a key role in a crucial U-M initiative, please consider joining us as our Lab Manager.
- Coordinate with Mcity leadership, U-M researchers, and industry partners to operate the Mcity Test Facility, a specialized test facility with critical infrastructure and vehicle assets for the testing of connected and automated vehicles and intelligent transportation systems.
- Ensure adherence to and continue development of Mcity Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for the safe operation of the test environment in collaboration with U-M EHS, U-M Risk Management, and Mcity Safety Committee.
- Provide and/or coordinate user training for safe and appropriate equipment operation and laboratory techniques.
- Oversee the demonstration of technology and equipment capabilities.
- Consult with lab users to refine or adapt methodologies to fit specific experiment requirements, and collaborate in the development of new techniques.
- Formulate research methods and suggest options for improving the testing protocols and effective data collection.
- Support lab tours and explain and demonstrate technology and equipment capabilities to audiences of varying levels of technical background.
- Ensure adherence to Institutional Review Board approved protocols (including assisting outside users in the process of obtaining U of M Institutional Review Board approvals).
Scheduling, Budgeting and Coordination of Use
- With your team, coordinate the facility’s use and access, balancing complex internal and external stakeholder priorities.
- In collaboration with Mcity leadership and staff, ensure Mcity labs are operating within their allocated budgets and assist in planning future growth of the facilities.
- Collaborate with research administration to ensure proper billing and cost allocation according to facility usage, through standard U-M recharge and service unit billing procedures.
- This position requires supervision of a small but highly capable team who assist with daily operations, lab reservation procedures, and project management
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, with 5 to 8 years of relevant experience in a lab or R&D setting
- Demonstrated background and experience with basic project management skills such as scheduling and budgeting
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with multiple internal and external partners and units
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and dependability
- Supervisory experience
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines
- Connected and/or automated vehicle technologies expertise
- Development vehicle testing expertise
- Intelligent transportation systems expertise
- Academic research experience
- Knowledge of U-M Institutional Review Board submission process
- Knowledge of vehicle data acquisition systems
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.