Laboratory Safety Specialist
The Laboratory Safety Specialist (LSS) assists the Laboratory Safety Program Manager and other EH&S program managers by supporting the laboratory safety, hazardous material, occupational health and environmental management programs in laboratories and other facilities throughout campus.
Key work includes:
- Inspections and consultations in laboratories, shops and hazardous waste management facilities
- Conducting risk assessments in laboratories to ensure research safety
- Commissioning and decommissioning laboratories
- Evaluation and inspection of safety equipment
- Maintaining emergency response supplies and equipment
- Supporting and maintaining hazardous materials and waste related databases and documentation.
- Serving as a resource to laboratory personnel on laboratory safety best practices
- Enhancing environmental health and safety programs to ensure compliance with relevant local, state and federal regulations and guidelines.
Laboratory safety management presents challenges where problems encountered are often non-routine, requiring review of practices and precedents to recommend effective remedies. Often, precedents generally do not exist for some problems, thus this position requires conducting independent research/analysis to identify appropriate solutions.