General Description of the Job Class
Accountability for day to day patient testing activities within the laboratory defined by either single cost center and/or >10 but <30 FTE???s and/or limited specialized training. Plans, coordinates and directs testing activities to assure sufficient quantifies of supplies, reagents and qualified competent staff are available to meet the standards of care as appropriate for the age of the patients served in a cost effective manner.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Supervise the work of laboratory personnel engaged in performing routine and specialized technical procedures, including planning laboratory work, evaluating work performed and handling procedural and technical laboratory problems.
- Develop and implement quality control programs to ensure reliability of testing procedures, proper function of laboratory equipment and compliance with federal regulations; prepare and maintain applicable records.
- Prepare technical reports reflecting volume of work, procedures utilized and test results; coordinate the preparation of reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations or conclusions. *Participate in the development of new medical laboratory procedures and techniques; plan, develop and present workshops.
- Coordinate student rotations to include instruction in laboratory methods and procedures.
- Design appropriate work schedules for subordinate employees and plans daily work assignments in order to maintain an adequate personnel complement for laboratory efficiency.
- Supervise various personnel functions including, but not limited to interviewing, hiring performance appraisals, promotions, transfers and vacation schedules.
- Monitor Quality Control, Quality Assurance, Safety and Inspection Control practices to assure compliance with internal and external regulations.
- Maintain sufficient inventory of material supplies and equipment for performance of duties; clean and maintain standard laboratory equipment with budgetary guidelines. *Utilize various laboratory and hospital information systems and software.
- Communicate in a professional and courteous manner with patients, family and other medical personnel as necessary to obtain information for laboratory records, explain procedures, clarify orders and communicate status.
- Interact courteously with doctors, nurses and other healthcare providers when answering questions or providing other information.
- Responsibility for the oversight of the ancillary testing program including quality control, quality assurance, and development of policies and procedures.
- Interprets accrediting agencies standards or guidelines for ancillary testing program and translates requirement into policies and procedures; initiates corrective action as soon as deficiency is identified; completes checklist and other information sheets required and coordinates on-site inspection of sections for which responsible.
- Provide advanced problem solving, troubleshooting, interpretation/consultation, verification of specimen quality and test results.
- Stay abreast of and execute latest technical and management developments including new lab procedures.
- Demonstrate decision-making abilities in all aspects of performance
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of laboratory safety and infection control procedures and practices including standard precautions and hazardous chemical handling.
- Considerable knowledge of laboratory equipment, instrumentation and terminology
- Considerable knowledge of the clinical laboratory procedures
- Considerable knowledge of regulatory agencies standards
- Ability to develop and refine procedures *Ability to maintain effective reporting procedures and control workflow
- Ability to make accurate observations and written reports of test results
- Ability to train, orient and evaluate the job performance of various laboratory personnel *Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees.
- Ability to maintain inventory control systems and make budgetary projections
- Ability to schedule adequate numbers of competent staff on a day to day basis
- Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
- Responsibility for day-to-day supervision and/or oversight of the laboratory operation and personnel performing testing and reporting test results.
- Formulate goals and/or recommend policy, assign objectives, and establish standards of practice.
- Provide direct supervision of all high complexity testing and maintain contact with laboratory at all times either with on site presence or via pager.
- Monitor testing to ensure that acceptable levels of analytic performance are maintained.
- Check personnel to assure competence prior to test reporting
- All aspects of Proficiency testing are properly followed, reviewed and remedial action is taken and documented following failures
- Quality assurance and Quality Control programs are established, maintained and are effective in identifying problems.
- Procedure manuals are available and have been reviewed annually by director, manager, supervisor or analytical specialist.
Responsibilities delegated from the director or technical supervisor include:
- Assure remedial action is taken and documented whenever tests systems deviate from established performance specifications
- Review and document proficiency testing and follow up on outliers.
- Ensure that patient testing results are not reported until corrective action has been taken and the test system is functioning properly
- Participate in the annual evaluation, competency testing and documentation for all testing personnel
- Receive, review and prepare technical reports reflecting volume of work, procedures utilized and test results; coordinate the preparation of reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends and appropriate corrective action.
- Assist in the annual validation of the Electronic Laboratory Manual.
Duke Entity DUHS CLINICAL LABS
Job Family Level G1
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology or related field OR has met the minimal education and experience requirements as outlined by a nationally recognized Med Tech certifying body.
5 years full time experience as a medical technologist in a clinical laboratory setting.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
ASCP, NCA or equivalent.