Club Sports Financial Specialist
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Student Life Budget and Finance (SLBF) supports the Student Life departments of Housing, Dining, Unions, Conference and Events, University Health Services (UHS), Rec. Sports and many departments, centers and programs within Student Life. SLBF prepares monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports, prepares annual budgets, data analysis, procurement and accounts receivable support across Student Life. SLBF also facilitates the annual Internal Controls gap analysis process, provides financial system and business process training as well as updates to U of M processes and policies within Student Life.
This position will serve as the main point of contact for Club Sports financial transactions, reporting, and education of Club Sports student leaders and oversight to 30+ competitive student led teams. Additionally, this role will provide directed support to the operation of the Recreational Sports department’s Sponsored Student Organizations as well as department development work.
Financial Oversight and Reporting (65%):
- Produce, interpret and analyze monthly account statements regarding balances in department and Club Sport gift and agency funds.
- Administer a special debit card program developed under a memo of understanding with UM Credit Union.
- Provide and update tools for student leaders to track and understand Club expenditures.
- Resolve account discrepancies and overages on a monthly basis.
- Educate students who are responsible for financial oversight of each Club Sport.
- Manage the procurement of goods and services for Club Sports, including verifying need and budget.
- Approve expenditures from all university accounts, assigned to Clubs.
- The position holds and is responsible for the use of a UM PCard with a $10,000 limit.
- Reconcile and correct billing for Club use of university rental vehicles.
- Administer training and execution of sales and solicitation policies, procedures and guidelines, including cash handing requirements.
Club Sports Program Support (20%):
- Assist with development and implementation of training and ongoing education programs for Club Sports student officer training and education programs based on University expectation, best practices, and industry standards.
- Administer and track required background checks, paperwork and online training for all Club Sport coaches.
- Facilitate annual inventory tracking process with Club Sports student leaders.
- At the direction of the Assistant Director and Program Manager for Club Sports, book air and charter bus travel for Club Sport teams.
Department Development Support (10%):
- Assist in the design and implementation of a comprehensive data management system to capture student staff and participants for all programs and services offered by Recreational Sports.
- Process gift checks mailed to the Recreational Sports department.
- Prepare monthly donor reports and assist with donor stewardship.
- Track alumni and donor engagement and stewardship by Club Sports.
- A Bachelor's degree in Higher Education, Recreation, Sports Management, Business or related field.
- Experience working with a diverse student population including education on policies and procedures.
- Master’s degree in Kinesiology, Physical Education, Recreation, Sports Management and Communication, or related field.
- Experience with University administrative systems and data retrieval tools.
- Experience with student organization programming, risk management, and fiscal management.
- Experience in travel coordination of student organizations, and understanding of policies, procedures and safety measures accompanying travel (regional and national).
- Current certifications in CPR, First Aid, and AED or ability to obtain within six months of hire.
This role may have reporting obligations until Title IX and Clery
Relocation will not be offered for this position
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Professionalism and positive service attitude
- Financial competency, including basic accounting, data retrieval and analysis, transaction processing, and cash handling
- Motivation to create productive learning experiences for students who participate in recreation
The position will assist with oversight, development and administration of budgets in the Club Sports and Esports programs. Additionally, this position is responsible for oversight and ensured compliance with university policies and procedures for multiple university accounts held for each Club Sport. The total annual budget responsibility of this position is estimated to be $200,000.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.