Extension 4-H/Agricultural Agent
New Mexico State University is a comprehensive land-grant institution of higher learning accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Universities. An active research university, NMSU anchors the southern end of New Mexico’s Rio Grande Research Corridor, exceeding $140 million in research and public service expenditures. NMSU is classified as a Hispanic-serving institution by the federal government with a total minority enrollment over 48%. Home to the state’s NASA Space Grant Program, NMSU is located in Las Cruces, which features desert mesas, the farmlands of the Rio Grande Valley, and the Organ Mountains, an extension of the Rocky Mountain chain. The University is committed to building a cultural diverse educational environment.
The successful candidate will:
-Provide leadership and guidance to the Extension educational and agriculture programs for youth, including 4-H and Youth, special interest groups, and adult and youth leaders and the public throughout the County as job requires.
- Recruit, train and support volunteer adult and youth leaders.
-Support annual County Fair efforts.
- Team with other Extension Agents in the county and district and with State Specialists, District Department Head and Administrators in planning and implementing total Extension programs.
- Maintain a favorable public image and gain acceptance for self, Extension and New Mexico State University among the county citizens
- Administratively responsible to the County Program Director and through him/her to the Northern District Department Head.
- Provide timely reports as required.
Master’s degree (in hand by hire date) required. At least one degree must be in Agriculture or related field.
Or may be under-filled as an Extension Associate I. Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture or related field with a cumulative 2.5 GPA or higher required. Must complete a master’s degree within 5 years of hire date to continue employment. Promotion to tenure rank will be based on performance and Dean’s approval.
- Satisfactory experience in Extension or related field demonstrating ability to work with youth and adults preferred.
- Ability to relate effectively to people of all ages, income, educational levels and ethnic background and develop informal educational programs to meet their needs.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing and to teach effectively required.
- Ability to implement educational learning experiences for both youth and adults in furtherance of the mission of Extension required.
- Ability to provide leadership role in management of volunteer organization including recruitment, training and support of volunteers.
-Ability to work odd hours and weekends as necessary.
-Ability to travel within county
Satisfactory experience in Extension or related field demonstrating ability to work with youth and/or adults preferred.
Position is for San Juan County, headquarters in Aztec, NM. Must live in county where employed and be willing to travel and work odd hours as needed to support the program. Personal auto required; reimbursed at IRS rate per mile. Valid driver’s license required.