This front-desk position will provide administrative support to WSE’s Office of the Dean. Responsibilities include greeting and directing visitors, calendaring, and assisting with special projects.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Administrative Support for Assistant Dean for Marketing and Communications and Assistant Dean for Diversity and Inclusion (70%)
- Maintain the calendars for the Assistant Dean for Marketing and Communications and the Assistant Dean for Diversity and Inclusion based on knowledge of goals and priorities
- Schedule appointments and meetings with faculty, students, staff, and others across the University
- Prepare agendas and materials for meetings
- Draft and prepare office communications for signature
- Create/maintain distribution lists
- Assist in the coordination of special events and meetings, including scheduling meeting rooms/venues and making travel arrangements for events such as Leadership Alliance, EHOP, E-Week, Convocation, Design Day and others as assigned
- Provide additional administrative support for staff within the Marketing and Communications office
- Provide administrative support and scheduling for committees supervised by the Assistant Dean including Homewood Council on Inclusive Excellence and Diversity Champions
- Maintain and organize electronic and paper files
- Prepare financial paperwork such as purchase orders, travel reimbursements, coded invoices and check requests
- Regularly use University online financial systems (SAP) to initiate and complete transactions
- Other duties as assigned
General Administrative Support (30%)
- Greet and direct all guests entering the office
- Answer and screen telephone calls, record messages with attention to detail, relay messages
- Stock and maintain both the office supply room and kitchen
- Sort and distribute mail
- Send out Courier mail (FedEx, UPS, etc.) Pick up and deliver materials as required
- Maintain calendars and schedule appointments for shared meeting rooms
- Assist with special event planning and coordination including meetings, orientation, commencement, seminars, etc. Includes ordering food, preparing materials, reserving rooms, and working with vendors and I.T. for deliveries, set up, and audiovisual arrangements.
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- High school diploma/GED required
- 3 years of related experience required
- Additional education can be substituted for experience
- Some college preferred
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the formal and informal JHU and WSE goals, standards, policies and procedures, including some knowledge of other departments within the School
- High level of proficiency in computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and other software programs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be detail-oriented, well-organized and able to manage time effectively
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple and/or overlapping assignments
- Must have a demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality of information
Role/Level/Range: ATO 37.5/02/OE
Starting Salary Range: $17.25 - $23.72 per hour
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 01-MD:Homewood Campus
Department name: 10001468-Office of the Dean
Personnel area: Whiting School of Engineering
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information