Research Fellow, College of Arts and Social Science
Classification: Research Fellow (Academic)
Salary package: Academic Level B - $98,009 - $111,365 plus 17% superannuation
Terms: Full-time, Fixed term 3 years (commencing mid-year 2019)
The ANU Institute for Communication in Health Care (ICH) are inviting applications from suitably qualified scholars for a post-doctoral fellowship/research fellow to work with Professor Diana Slade and the ICH team.
- This is a three-year fixed term position within the School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics commencing in July 2019.
- A key priority for this position is to research topics in health care communication in Australia to complement projects by the institute’s partner organisations, Nanyang Technological University and Hong Kong University.
- Current projects include translational research on communication in clinical handover, end-of-life communication, communication at hospital discharge and communication in chronic condition self-management.
The position is primarily research-based, although with the possibility of some teaching. Current members of the institute have particular expertise in qualitative linguistic ethnographic research in hospital contexts. We would be interested in applications from similarly oriented linguists or with complementary skills and experience, for example in corpus-based approaches in health care communication research. The successful applicant would have a PhD in a relevant discipline and will carry out independent and team based research. The Australian National University has one of the highest-ranking linguistic programs in the world and hosts the internationally highly regarded Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language (CoEDL; http://dynamicsoflanguage.edu.au). The successful applicant will be expected to actively engage with colleagues at ANU and with the institute’s international partner organisations and Australian and international members.
The ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences (CASS) is one of seven Colleges at ANU. The College, which is structured into two main research schools, offers degrees in more than 20 discipline areas and excels in research across the creative arts, humanities and social sciences. The College has a substantial international research presence and is a major source of national policy advice. Our academic staff are internationally recognised for their research, and 57 are members of the Australian Academy of the Humanities, the Academy of the Social Sciences of Australia, or both. We also host 13 Australian Research Council Future Fellows and three ARC Laureates. A hub of vibrant activity, we host more than 270 lectures, concerts and exhibitions each year, most of which are open to the public. Our students, staff and graduates come from more than 60 nations, bringing a diversity of perspective to campus life.
For further information: Diana Slade,
T: +61(0)2 6125 4407 or
Closing date: 30 June 2019
Position description: Research Fellow.pdf
ANU values diversity and inclusion and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to those of all backgrounds and identities. For more information about staff equity at ANU, visit http://hr.anu.edu.au/staff-equity
In order to apply for this role please make sure that you upload the following documents:
- A 3-page statement addressing the selection criteria.
- A 2-page research plan in an area you would be interested in, consistent with the ICH mission.
- A current curriculum vitae (CV) which includes the names and contact details of at least three referees (preferably including a current or previous supervisor). If your CV does not include referees you can complete these online when prompted in the application form.
- Other documents, if required.
Applications which do not address the selection criteria may not be considered for the position.