Clinical Nurse, Fetal Diagnostic Center
The Duke Fetal Diagnostic Center is a fast-paced hospital-based clinic. Nurses in this position would perform and interpret fetal non-stress tests/monitoring and work in collaboration with physicians, sonographers, and other staff.
Ideal candidates would have 2-3 years of labor and delivery experience - with Fetal Monitoring or Non-Stress Testing experience.
Certification needed - AWHONN Intermediate or Advanced Fetal Monitoring Certification OR C-EFM (NCC Electronic Fetal Monitoring Certification)
Schedule would be Monday - Friday 8am-4:30pm or 8:30am-5pm - no weekends and no call - with option for every other Wednesday off.
Independently plan and provide professional nursing care for patients in accordance with physician orders and established policies and procedures. Provide nursing services to patients and families in accordance with the scope of the RN as defined by the North Carolina Board of Nursing.
- Plan, provide, supervise and document professional nursing care utilizing the nursing process for patients in accordance with physician orders and established policies and procedures.
- Use professional nursing judgment to individualize the plan of care based on assessment of the patient's baseline needs and response to care.
- Delegate tasks and supervise the activities of other licensed and unlicensed care providers.
- Assist other nursing personnel in the delivery of nursing care and act as team leader or charge nurse for a group of patients or an entire unit as assigned.
- Monitor and initiate corrective action to maintain the environment of care including equipment and material resources.
- Participate in own professional development by maintaining required competencies, identifying learning needs and seeking appropriate assistance or educational offerings.
- Act as preceptor and support the development of other staff and formal learners.
- Participate in the identification of clinical or operational performance improvement opportunities and in performance improvement activities.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of scope of the registered nurse, licensed practical nurse and NCA
- Knowledge of and appropriate application of the nursing process
- Knowledge of professional theory, practice and procedure
- Ability to assess nursing needs of acute and chronically ill patients and their families
- Ability to independently seek out resources and work collaboratively
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to communicate clearly with patients, families, visitors, healthcare team, physicians, administrators, leadership and others
- Ability to teach patients and families in accordance with the nursing plan of care
- Ability to use sensory and cognitive functions to process and prioritize information, treatment, and follow-up
- Ability to use fine motor skills
- Competent in BLS and/or other specialized life support requirements designated by work area
- Ability to record activities, document assessments, plan of care, interventions, evaluation and re-evaluation of patient status
- Ability to use computer and learn new software programs
- Able to document and communicate pertinent information using computer and/or paper documentation tools
- Ability to navigate the entity to provide clinical care for patients
- Ability to withstand prolonged standing and walking.
- Ability to remain focused and organized Working knowledge of procedures and techniques involved in administering routine and special treatments to patients
- Working knowledge of infection control procedures and safety precautions
- Working knowledge and completion of appropriate JCAHO and other regulatory requirements
Duke Entity DUKE HOSPITAL
Job Family Level E2
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires graduation from an accredited BSN or Associate's Degree in Nursing or Nursing Diploma program. All registered nurses without a Bachelor's degree in Nursing (or higher) will be required to enroll in an appropriate BSN program within two years of their start date and to complete the program within five years of their start date.
Ideal candidates would have 2-3 years of labor and delivery experience - with Fetal Monitoring or Non-Stress testing experience.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Must have current or compact RN licensure in the state of North Carolina. BLS required.
Certification needed: AWHONN Intermediate or Advanced Fetal Monitoring Certification, or C-EFM (NCC - Electronic Fetal Monitoring)