Instructor/Lecturer in a Major European Language, French, Spanish and German
The University of Kurdistan Hewlêr is making significant investment in new academic positions to support its strategic development within the next five years to enable the School to be a key player in the field of English and major European language, nationally, and internationally.
The Instructor/Lecturer in a Major European Language will contribute to the success and the growth of the School and the Department, especially in the areas of specialisation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Instructor/Lecturer in a Major European Language, will:
- Plan, develop, and deliver undergraduate modules in areas relating to a major European language (French, Spanish, or German) at beginner to upper-intermediate levels.
- Develop syllabuses and learning materials as appropriate and in accordance with the University quality enhancement policy and processes and professional body requirements with the aim of creating interest and learning amongst students.
- Assess students and stimulate them to have the opportunity to be engaged and challenged.
- Deliver teaching modules and courses in a major European language (French, Spanish, or German) to UKH and external students at beginner, intermediate, and upper-intermediate levels.
- Design appropriate assessment methods and ensure established standards are maintained and timescales adhered to.
- Provide constructive and timely feedback to students and other stakeholders and advise on areas of concern and suggest improvement.
- Supervise undergraduate projects relating to the linguistics, translation of, or literature produced in a major European language (French, Spanish, or German), including culture and gender studies related to one of the major European languages.
- Ensure instruction outcomes are relevant and applicable to key areas of teaching and benefit the students of the University and the Kurdistan Region.
- Contribute, where appropriate, to knowledge transfer, income generation and consultancy activities of the University.
- Develop new and revise existing undergraduate programmes and modules to reflect the latest developments in the subject areas.
- Communicate effectively with other Schools/Departments/Units within the University and other relevant external institutions.
- Build strong collaborative relationships with industries, academics, research centres, and/or government institutions.
- Provide support, counselling and tutorials to students.
- Work cooperatively with academic colleagues as a member of teaching and research teams.
- Create a positive image of the University by being responsive and promptly responding to requests and enquiries.
- Participate in the daily life of the School by being involved in different pedagogic tasks and creating synergy between teaching, research and learning.
- Contribute to the management tasks in the School if required.
- Collaborate with colleagues and others in relation to student recruitment and marketing initiatives.
- Participate in meetings, activities, and boards as necessary.
- Assist the School and the Department in developing internal and external communities that promote the major field of study and the University.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties as requested by the line manager.
The Instructor/Lecturer in a Major European Language should have the following qualifications, skills and competencies:
- Candidates with Master’s degree or equivalent in French, Spanish, or German language can be employed as Assistant Lecturers. Instructors from Kurdistan Region and Iraq would be required to successfully complete a six months teaching certificate. They are also given a period of five years to publish a minimum of two papers in preparation for promotion to Lecturer. Beyond the five-year period, if unsuccessful, instructors would be taken out of the teaching staff.
- Foreign Instructors would be required to present a recognized teaching certificate as part of their employment documents.
- All candidates in teaching capacity who are fresh PhD holders in French, Spanish, or German language, are appointed as Lecturers. Candidates from Kurdistan Region and Iraq with no teaching certificate, will be offered a three-month training to obtain such a certificate while other candidates will be required to present a recognized teaching certificate as part of their employment documents.
- Fresh PhD holders must have 2-3 publications in standard journals relating to their degrees.
- Fluency in a major European language (French, Spanish, or German) - reading, writing and speaking (ability to teach in the language of specialty).
- Basic command of English, especially speaking and writing.
- Teaching experience in higher education.
- A strong knowledge of the subject areas and ability to contribute to teaching modules in areas of teaching the language of specialty.
- The ability to teach across programmes and curricula to deliver specialist options and to supervise undergraduate projects.
- Interpersonal, planning and organizational skills.
- The ability to effect change in a positive way.
- A good team player with the ability to work harmoniously with colleagues and students of all cultures and backgrounds.
- Commitment to high quality teaching and fostering a positive learning environment for students.
- Commitment to Continuous Professional Development, academic research and income generation.
- A consistent record of teaching feedback in teaching second and foreign languages.
- Ability to deal with sensitive information with discretion and to maintain confidentiality at all times.
HOW TO APPLY
- Interested applicants are requested to email their Application Form, CV, and Personal Statement to firstname.lastname@example.org by indicating the specific Vacancy Title: Instructor/Lecturer in a Major European Language (French/Spanish/German), and inserting the most recent passport size photo in the area provided on the application form.
- Only complete applications: Application Form (with the most recent photo), Personal Statement and CV will be considered.
- Size of the photo must be 45mm x 35mm with no less than 150 pixels for the quality.
- Any application that does not specify the vacancy applied for will not be considered.
- An Application Form is available at ‘Vacancies’ on the University website (http://www.ukh.edu.krd).
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.