Staff Assistant, Vascular
Perform responsible administrative and secretarial duties of a complex and confidential nature in support of major departmental or divisional activities to relieve supervisor of varied clerical and administrative responsibilities and to maintain efficiency in organizational operations.
- Screen and route mail and documents; determine which to respond to or which to bring to supervisor's attention based on content of communication and broad knowledge of departmental programs and activities.
- Organize and maintain divisional or departmental files of records, reports and correspondence required for reference and efficient operation of division or department; maintain up-to-date management and procedural manuals, directives and related records; interpret new directives, policies and regulations and inform appropriate personnel of changes. Assist in preparing complex reports and proposals requiring the identification of sources, compilation, analysis and evaluation of data.
- Review reports received for supervisor; check and compare with source documents and bring significant items, changes, errors or omissions to the attention of the supervisor.
- Assist in the preparation of complex and diversified departmental or divisional budgets making recommendations and projections based on knowledge of program activities and departmental operations.
- Compose letters and statements independently requiring interpretation and application of departmental policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Take and transcribe dictation; type letters, reports and records ensuring grammatical accuracy, conformance with general policy and factual correctness.
- Schedule and coordinate arrangements for seminars and conferences and establish appointments, meetings and speaking engagements for supervisor; attend meetings to take minutes, provide information and serve as a resource person; interview callers; answer questions concerning departmental or divisional activities and transmit instructions and/or information to and from staff members; serve as liaison with administrative personnel and external agencies concerning University policies and procedures, grant administration and budgetary preparation and control.
- Advise and direct secretarial, clerical or other personnel in the department or division; make work assignments and review work for accuracy and completeness.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Duke Entity MEDICAL CENTER
Job Family Level 08
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a broad knowledge of clerical and accounting principles and practices normally acquired through two years of post-secondary education in secretarial science or a related business field.
Work generally requires three years of related secretarial/clerical experience to acquire skills necessary to administer complex office functions related to office management, communications, and budgetary/accounting activities. OR and equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.