Life Science Research Professional
Department of Bioengineering
Stanford Bioengineering is a dynamic and rapidly growing department within the Stanford Schools of Engineering and Medicine. For more than a decade, the Department of Bioengineering has sought to advance bioengineering as a fundamental engineering discipline grounded in basic sciences, powered by a unique set of engineering concepts and principles, and capable of realizing many diverse applications. Our community ranges broadly, consisting of esteemed alumni, world class faculty and students, dynamic staff and administrators and include some of the world's most successful leaders in bioengineering technology and business In realizing our mission, our staff are critical to supporting our organization’s goals and enabling Stanford faculty and students to accomplish its mission conducting cutting-edge research with the objective of formulating innovative solutions to global challenges through the field of bioengineering.
The Fischbach Lab at Stanford University is seeking a highly motivated scientist for a role in our ambitious new effort to build the microbiome from scratch. We are looking for a candidate with good hands, strong organizational skills, and the ability to attain a high degree of independence in a fast-paced and dynamic research environment. In this role, which will be at the level of Life Science Research Professional, you will be responsible for studying how the microbiome influences the immune system using state-of-the-art immunology and microbiology techniques. You will be working as part of a new microbiome initiative at Stanford involving multiple laboratories from the Schools of Medicine and Engineering.
Please note that while this is a one-year fixed term position, there may be an option for renewal based on funding.
Your responsibilities include:
- Cloning and culturing of human-associated bacteria.
- Isolation of immune cells from the gut, skin and spleen of mice.
- Analysis and sorting of immune cells using multi-color flow cytometry.
- Must keep an accurate laboratory notebook for all studies.
- Plan and perform experiments in support of research projects in lab and/or field, based on knowledge of scientific theory. Interpret and perform basic analyses of results.
- Offer suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in collaboration with graduate and post-doctoral individuals.
- Make recommendations on the research design and direction.
- Plan and coordinate experiments from beginning to end. Responsible for interpretation of data and findings and maintaining detailed records of experiments and outcomes, suggesting modifications to existing procedures when needed.
- May also be required to recommend changes in protocols to prevent reoccurrence of problems.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with new procedures and related research.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in the preparation of written documents, including procedures, presentations, and proposals.
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide general lab support as needed.
- Help orient and train new staff or students.
- Flexibility with other tasks as assigned.
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in related scientific field.
- Experience with PCR, cloning, bacterial cell culture, dissection of mouse tissues and flow cytometry.
- Demonstrate aptitude in foresight, planning, and ability to organize as required by research.
- General understanding of scientific principles.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
* Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Master's degree in related scientific field and 2 years lab experience.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne pathogens.
- Requires work in an environment where animals are used for teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present.
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research requirements and business needs.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Ourculture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your background in customer service and provide examples of your experience with attention to detail, responsiveness, and decision-making.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4945
- Employee Status: Fixed-Term
- Grade: E
- Requisition ID: 83011