Facility Support Services Associate
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and must be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The scientific mission of the Institute for Social Research (ISR) includes the planning and conduct of high quality social science research, the dissemination of the findings from this research, and the training of future generations of social scientists. The research is conducted through faculty and staff within five research centers, with central portions of administration handled through the ISR Center for Institute Service (CIS).
The Institute for Social Research (ISR) is seeking a service oriented individual to fill a m ulti-faceted role in its Facilities and Operations (F&O) group, within the Center for Institute Services (CIS). This position will help ensure prompt and accurate customer service in a wide variety of support services including all mailroom duties, receptionist duties, messenger service, conference room set-ups, facility maintenance and special projects.
This post will independently and proactively coordinate work with others including the planning and scheduling of work in order to meet daily deadlines many of which are time sensitive. Successful candidates must be reliable and flexible and able to independently manage competing demands and able to autonomously perform essential functions and duties, and to perform other tasks as assigned.
A high level of accuracy is required in all aspects of this position. Must maintain a high level of productivity, with interruptions, and the willingness and ability to change tasks easily, identifying and taking steps to set boundaries in the moment.
Must be cooperative, willing to work with and learn from others, and able to react positively and productively to change. Must have a strong desire to provide service to others. Requires flexibility, a positive attitude, a pleasant demeanor, and must be approachable and reliable.
Conference Room Set-ups, Special Projects: Responsible for interfacing with customers and developing and maintaining schedules and performing the moving and arranging tables, chairs and accessories in meeting areas and conference rooms typically working alone. Work with other movers for large-scale furniture moves for events. Working alone or with others to accomplish small projects such as moving office furniture, installing whiteboards and other similar work; requires the use of small hand tools, such as a drill. Ensure safe material handling practices are followed and that equipment is well-maintained.
Mailroom: Sort, deliver, transport, process, tally, and meter mail and packages while resolving related equipment problems as necessary. Transport low- and high-value items within campus and surrounding area; includes a variety of sizes and weights, using basic equipment provided. Operate a UM motor vehicle independently. Assist and/or direct receiving and shipping activities. Includes stuffing, stamping, folding and other similar work on occasion. Involves interacting and coordinating work directly with customers and suppliers. May include responsibility for regular billing, account reconciling, vendor payments, ordering supplies etc.
Reception: Provide front-line reception coverage as a back-up. Actively and positively contribute to building and supporting the ISR community through this work. Greet and engage persons, determine nature of visit and resolve issues, such as direct or escort as expected; provide wayfinding assistance; effectively and clearly convey general information; hear and resolve complaints; maintain a petty cash drawer. Provide, receive, review and respond to various forms, primarily key and facility related. Utilize online information systems such as maps, phone directories, etc. Use a multi-line phone.
Operations: Interacting and coordinating work directly with customers, vendors and other UM departments to perform warehousing and Property Disposition activities. This includes intake, storing, retrieval, billing, and cleanliness. May include working directly with suppliers, team and customers on recycling, shredding and property disposition items
Facility Maintenance/ Admin Support: With necessary training, assist or may coordinate or triage facilities maintenance work, which may include interfacing and coordinating work with customers and repair staff, developing and implementing outreach and education and communicating these plans, actively participate in safety programs, as examples. Other facilities-related duties as defined and assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent, some college desirable; 0-2 years in a similar position.
- Able to independently move and transport items weighing up to 50 lbs. regularly and repeatedly and items weighing up to 100 lbs. as needed.
- Demonstrated success working with UM Departments such as the Key Office, Property Disposition and Moving & Trucking, and vendors such as Metro Delivery, Safeway, UPS, etc.
- Hold and maintain a valid drivers' license, meet UM driver insurance requirements, and be able to safely operate a motor vehicle independently.
- Physically capable of periods of standing, sitting, kneeling, pushing, pulling, walking, reaching, stuffing, stamping and folding as examples.
- Proven excellent attendance, punctuality and dependability.
- Cash-handling experience.
- Working knowledge and usage of email, internet and intranet and ticket-based work order system.
- Proven skill working with Google Docs and Sheets and Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to safely use small hand tools, such as drills, screwdrivers, hammers; triage basic facility items.
- Appropriately handle confidential information.
- Customer service experience.
- Convey a team spirt and be team-oriented, willingness to readily assist customers, team members and others.
- Proven listening, communication and interpersonal skills and a pleasant demeanor.
- Confirmed successful experience working as operations support in a central-service team environment.
- Exposure to emergency action programs.
- Experience working in higher education.
The Institute for Social Research at the University of Michigan seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the university, and to ground our research in varied disciplines, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.