Learning & Development Manager (Exeter Academic)
Learning & Development Manager (Exeter Academic)
Job reference R58196
Date posted 01/05/2019
Application closing date 22/05/2019
Salary The starting salary will be from £35,211 on Grade F, depending on qualifications and experience.
Package Generous holiday allowances, flexible working, pension scheme and relocation package (if applicable).
Job category/type Admin, Professional, Managerial
This full-time post is available immediately on a permanent basis.
Exeter Academic is our award winning initiative that provides academics with the information and signposting needed to successfully progress their careers, develop themselves and consider how to strengthen their leadership and management skills.
The aim of the Exeter Academic is to support academics to be the very best they can be, to achieve their goals in education, research and impact, and to help our talented undergraduates and postgraduates to go onto become distinguished in their own chosen fields.
Summary of the role/position
We are looking for a driven and ambitious individual who is keen to take a leading role in the team to support the delivery and growth of the Exeter Academic programme. You will enjoy the opportunity to develop and shape academic development. You will have knowledge of the scholarship and academic practices of learning and teaching in Higher Education and an understanding of the issues and challenges facing the UK Higher Education sector. You will have excellent interpersonal skills,with the ability to quickly build rapport and establish relationships with individuals and groups, demonstrating a flexible, participative approach and be able to nurture and develop on-going relationships with colleagues. You will have an understanding of current innovative learning and development theories and e-learning.
Working as a member of a team of learning and development professionals you will deliver and grow the range of services People Development and Academic Development provide to all academic (E&S, E&R,R) staff to deliver the requirements and aspirations of the relevant University strategies (Education; Research & Impact; People).
You will report principally to the Head of People Development and also agree work objectives with the Manager of Academic Development. You will work alongside,and collaborate with, our team of other Learning and Development (L&D)Managers and with the People Development Administration team.
You can view the Job Description and Person Specification document here.
What we can offer you
- Experience of working alongside two teams of dynamic staff development professionals in an ambitious Russell Group University
- Opportunities to work closely with a wide range of academics, academic leaders, Senior Management and Professional Services staff to deliver our new Education and Research and Impact strategies
- A chance to inform and influence the growth of Exeter Academic initiative
- Experience of leading project-type work and opportunities to contribute to wider institutional activities beyond Exeter Academic
- A chance to develop and qualify yourself professionally in a number of ways
The University of Exeter
We are a member of the prestigious Russell Group of research-intensive universities and in the top 150 universities in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2019). We combine world-class teaching with world-class research, achieving a Gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework Award 2017.
Our research income in recent years means we're fastest growing UK Research University and we seek to answer some of the most fundamental issues facing humankind today through this. 98% of our research is international quality (2014 Research Excellence Framework) and we encourage proactive engagement with industry, business and community partners to enhance the impact of research and education and improve the employability of our students.
We offer some fantastic benefits including:
- 41 days leave per year
- options for flexible working
- numerous discounts at leading retailers
- onsite gyms on all of our campus' and a cycle to work scheme
- sector leading policies around maternity, adoption and shared parental leave (up to 26 weeks full pay), paternity leave (up to six weeks full pay) and a new Fertility Treatment Policy
- stunning campus environments in Exeter and Cornwall, in the beautiful South West of England
Please contact Dr Clive Betts SFHEA FSDF (Head of People Development), C.R.Betts@exeter.ac.uk or (01392) 725348.
With over 22,000 students and 5,500 staff from 180 different countries we offer a diverse and engaging environment in which to work. We are an equal opportunity employer, a Disability Confident employer and an Athena Swan accredited institution. Whilst all applicants will be judged on merit alone, we particularly welcome applications from groups currently underrepresented in the workforce.