Research Investigator in Early Childhood Education
How to Apply
To apply, please upload one document with all of the following components:
- 2-3 page statement of interest
- a statement of your professional commitment to diversity, inclusion, justice and equity.
- writing sample (job market paper or recent publication authored / co-authored by the applicant),
- contact information for three individuals who can serve as referees.
- The School of Education at the University of Michigan seeks to appoint an Assistant Research Scientist in Educational Studies with a focus on Early Childhood Education.
- We will consider applicants knowledgeable in the general area of early childhood education research interested in deepening their knowledge and their skill in applying that research to early childhood education initiatives. The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to research, evaluation, curriculum development, and resource development.
- The Assistant Research Scientist will contribute to research projects under the direction of Professors Christina Weiland and Nell Duke.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Contributing to the design of early childhood curriculum materials to reflect current research
- Contributing to an evaluation of a text-message-mediated mentoring program for new mothers
- Collaborating in the design of an online portal to connect families to their children's preschool teachers and childcare providers and support families in fostering development at home.
- Collaborating in analysis of longitudinal data from a large urban school district engaged in innovative work in early childhood education
- Contributing to the development of grant proposals relating to future research and development in early childhood education
- The Assistant Research Scientist will also have the opportunity to develop and lead additional education research projects drawing on an extensive research infrastructure and connections with early childhood education settings throughout southeast Michigan. The Assistant Research Scientist should expect to spend 20% of their time on a project or projects in which they are the lead researcher. This position does not have responsibilities in teaching.
Applicants must have completed their PhD in education or a related field prior to August 31, 2019.
Experience as an early childhood educator and experience with quantitative research. Mixed-method research experience is a plus.
This is a one-year renewable position beginning in the summer or early fall of 2019 with competitive salary and benefits. PhD must be conferred before appointment can begin.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.