Academic and Research Services Specialist, Health Sciences Library and Winkler Center
This position is a three (3) year term appointment. The specialist will provide reference, research and consultation services for the University of Cincinnati’s Health Science Library (HSL) and Winkler Center users, instruction in the HSL workshops/classes, and literature searching (including meta-analysis and systematic reviews) to the University of Cincinnati Academic Health Center (AHC) and UC Health. The incumbent will work closely with HSL Librarians and the Winkler Center Curator/Archivist on collection development/ management and project-based work. This position will report to the Interim Director of the Health Sciences Library and Winkler Center.
RELATIONSHIP AND AUTHORITY
Reports to and receives guidance from the Interim Director, Health Sciences Library. Serves as a member of the HSL’s Information Services and Research Data Sciences and Winkler Center team which serves the Colleges of Medicine, Nursing, Allied Health, and Pharmacy.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Health Sciences Library
- Under the direction and supervision of HSL faculty candidate will develop, deliver, and assess virtual and in-person instructional activities to support effective, efficient, and ethical use of research resources and tools.
- Assists HSL faculty by serving as HSL liaison to AHC Colleges for library collections, research assistance/ consultations, and instruction.
- Assists HSL collection development team in developing, revising and implementing HSL collection development.
- Participates in discussion and implementation of recommendations to evaluate, improve and streamline HSL services.
- Under the supervision and direction of HSL faculty, provides search services with a focus on systematic reviews, and other research projects.
- Utilizes technology to ensure engagement in other liaison areas.
- Conducts library tours and orientations.
- At the discretion of faculty, will participate and attend department meetings that support UC Libraries program and organizations.
- At the direction of Curator/Archivist, arranges and describes historic collections and materials.
- Assists Curator/Archivist in developing, planning and installing exhibits.
- Assists Curator/Archivist in processing any backlogs of collections.
- Oversees Winkler’s social media presence and Winkler website.
- Ability to handle reference and media requests.
- Works with students and faculty on accommodating their research needs.
- Works directly with the Curator/Archivist to process and describe archival material.
- Familiarity with general digital processes and digitization of primary source materials.
- Master’s degree in library or information science/management or relevant graduate education or a comparable combination of education and experience.
- Strong commitment to providing innovative and responsive service.
- Strong background in technology and willingness to learn and integrate new technologies.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and to contribute positively to a collegial team environment.
- Previous teaching experience.
- Knowledge of current instructional pedagogies.
- Two years of professional experience working in an academic health sciences or research library.
- Educational or experiential background in the health sciences.
- Expertise with evidence-based practice in the health sciences.
- Experience working with rare books and special collections.
- Experience with collection development in an academic health sciences library.
- Experience conducting systematic reviews.
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application you will be asked to include a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
As a UC employee, and an employee of an Ohio public institution, if hired you will not contribute to the federal Social Security system, other than contributions to Medicare. Instead, UC employees have the option to contribute to a state retirement plan (OPERS, STRS) or an alternative retirement plan (ARP).
The University of Cincinnati is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / M / F / Veteran / Disabled.