Chair Professor/Professor/Associate Professor/Assistant Professor (Sound Art)
Chair Professor/Professor/Associate Professor/Assistant Professor (Sound Art) in the School of Creative Media [Ref. E/217/09]
City University of Hong Kong is a dynamic, fast-growing university that is pursuing excellence in research and professional education. As a publicly-funded institution, the University is committed to nurturing and developing students’ talents and creating applicable knowledge to support social and economic advancement. The University has nine Colleges/Schools. As part of its pursuit of excellence, the University aims to recruit outstanding scholars from all over the world in various disciplines, including business, creative media, data science, energy and environment, engineering, humanities and social sciences, law, science, veterinary medicine and life sciences.
Applications and nominations are invited for the above posts:
The School of Creative Media (SCM) is recruiting academic faculty within its broad scope of creative endeavours. Led by Dean Professor Richard Allen, SCM is the leading media school in Hong Kong and the foremost advocate and incubator of new media and creative arts in Asia. It is deeply engaged in the creation, practice, scholarship, and pedagogy of sound art as an area of focus. The School is particularly interested in interdisciplinary approaches to sound in combination with media technology and/or other areas of visual arts.
The School has an international faculty of world renown for their creative endeavours. It offers teaching loads commensurate with the requirements of a research university, start-up research grants and ample opportunities for professional development.
The appointee will be expected to make significant contribution to the teaching, coordination and provision of sound art courses at all levels of the curriculum, and maintain an active and creative research profile. Main responsibilities include:
- Developing active creative work and research in his/her area of expertise;
- Teaching in one or more of the following areas, depending on his/her areas of expertise: sound art (performance and/or improvisation and/or installation), electronics and electronic music, live coding and generative music, soundscape and phonography, instrument-design and technology-mediated performance, sound design and recording for narrative media;
- Developing a robust curriculum on sound art both as a concentration and within the general curriculum; and
- Maintenance and oversight of the recording studio and music technology facilities.
A PhD or an MFA, with demonstrable creative, research and teaching ability. Good contacts with other professionals, industries, agencies, festivals with industrial experience; knowledge of contemporary sound arts; and a track record of professional works and achievements are required. Candidates with prior academic experience must also demonstrate effectiveness in teaching and research. Those with interdisciplinary research and teaching interests are especially welcome.
Salary and Conditions of Service
Remuneration package will be driven by market competitiveness and individual performance. Excellent fringe benefits include gratuity, leave, medical and dental schemes, and relocation assistance (where applicable). Initial appointment will be made on a fixed-term contract.
Information and Application
Further information on the posts and the University is available at http://www.cityu.edu.hk, or from the Human Resources Office, City University of Hong Kong, Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong [Email : email@example.com/ Fax : 2788 1154 or 3442 0311].
To apply, please submit an online application at http://jobs.cityu.edu.hk, and include the following documents:
- Cover letter outlining creative vision, career trajectory, and where applicable, teaching philosophy
- Detailed CV (including information of all professional and research output)
- Teaching evaluations if available
- Electronic/online copies (pdf) of two significant recent publications and/or online references of two significant recent creative works
City University of Hong Kong is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to the principle of diversity. Personal data provided by applicants will be used for recruitment and other employment-related purposes.
Worldwide recognition ranking 55th, and 5th among top 50 universities under age 50 (QS survey 2019); 1st in Engineering/Technology/Computer Sciences in Hong Kong (ARWU survey 2016); and 2nd Business School in Asia-Pacific region (UT Dallas survey 2017).