Food Service Worker
ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY AND RESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES:
Stanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of California's Silicon Valley, is one of the world's leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world.
Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE), the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community in a sustainable and fiscally responsible manner. The department is the steward for a $1.8 billion asset portfolio covering 1/3 of Stanford’s campus and has a $272 million annual operating budget for FY17. R&DE comprises 800+ staff in the following divisions: the Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost (SAVP Office), Student Housing, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of four R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Human Resources, Information Technology, and Strategic Communications. R&DE houses 13,000+ students and their dependents while serving over 6.5 million meals annually to students, conference, catering, retail, and concession guests and annually hosts a combined 52,000 guests in the Stanford Guest House and on-campus in Stanford Conferences.
ABOUT STANFORD HOSPITALITY & AUXILIARIES:
Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, a division within R&DE at Stanford University is committed to excellence and the highest level of customer service. It is recognized nationally for operating at “the cutting edge” of the industry receiving exceptional service ratings and numerous awards, including the Restaurant & Institutions Magazine Ivy Award for excellence in food service and hospitality. The Ivy Award is one of the industry’s most prestigious and coveted awards, give to those operations that meet the highest standards of food, hospitality and service. With R&DE’s vision “to be the best in the business” Stanford Hospitality and Auxiliaries is a Certified Green Business practicing sustainability in its purchasing and using equipment and processes that reduce solid waste and preserve natural resources. The highest Acterra Sustainability Award was received in 2006, in recognition of these initiatives.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Banquet Houseperson is responsible primarily for assisting in serving, setting –up, break down and clean-up of all Catering functions. Moves tables, chairs and other equipment to specific locations according to specifications of scheduled banquet functions. Maintains banquet storage area to ensure cleanliness and organization. Performs tear down and storage upon completion of banquet function. The Banquet Houseperson is to provide excellent customer service and a fine dining experience, using established protocols of food and beverage etiquette and service standards, and to consistently offer professional, friendly and warm hospitality to all guests. The position is expected to adhere to customer service relations standards, work rules, departmental policies and procedures and performance standards.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Deliver food and catering equipment for Catering events
- Provide an excellent dining experience for guests, using interpersonal skills, conflict resolution, and anticipation of guest needs.
- Provide a fine dining food and beverage service, using established protocols of food and beverage etiquette and service standards.
- Ability to set-up and break down large function dinner services and elaborate themed dinner programs, complete with food and beverage settings and linen, both on and off-site.
- Assists customers with specific dietary restrictions, and answer questions regarding food ingredients.
- Complies with workplace safety, safe food handling and sanitation standards.
- Follows RDE work rules, policies, procedures, and core values.
- Works with food runners to ensure proper guest satisfaction.
- Crumbs table as necessary
- Maintains supplies neat and organized to department standards
- Projects a professional image at all times through appearance and dress
- Demonstrate respectful and professional behavior by maintaining a positive work environment and interactions with co-workers, management, customers and visitors.
- Supports other Hospitality and Auxiliaries units as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must have a minimum of two (2) year fine dining or catering experience within the last two (2) years.
- Current clean DMV driving record
- Must be able to lift 50lbs and requires you to be on your feet for long periods of time.
- Must be willing to work a flexible and varied schedule as assigned.
- Has outstanding listening and communication skills with guests, peers and management.
- Understanding of Silver Service expectations and Principals
- Committed to providing excellent customer service to all customers.
- Able to plan ahead, prioritizing tasks and customer service needs.
- Proven track record of punctuality.
- A Banquet Houseperson must be able to provide own uniform items of black slacks, black shoes with black socks. Uniform Shirts will be provided
- Demonstrates helpfulness, and respectfulness, is approachable and team oriented, builds strong working relationships, diplomatic, and a positive work environment, is responsible, honest, resolves conflicts appropriately, and is flexible.
- Follows work directions as assigned by supervisors and managers
- Subject to wet floors, temperature extremes, excessive noises, and large commercial equipment. As an essential job function, worker is required to use cleaning and sanitizing chemicals.
ENGLISH PROFICIENCY REQUIREMENTS:
- Must have the ability to understand and communicate in English with adequate proficiency to follow directions from supervisor, read and understand safety guidelines and directions to prevent accidents or injuries from occurring, and communicate effectively with customers (staff, visitors, students) by listening and speaking clearly to them.
"Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job."
Job Code: 7287
Job Grade: A62
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 7288
- Employee Status: Fixed-Term
- Grade: A63
- Requisition ID: 82938