Clinical Nurse Specialist, Duke Raleigh, Adult Diabetes Education
Duke University Health System- Duke Raleigh Hospital seeks to hire a Clinical Nurse Specialist who will embrace our mission of Advancing Health Together.
The Disease Management Department at Duke Raleigh Hospital is active in delivering exemplary care for each patient to ensure an excellent patient experience, every time.
The inpatient Adult Diabetes Education (ADE) Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) provides direct patient care services to adults with a diagnosis of diabetes. The Clinical Nurse Specialist collects and documents patient data, collaborates with the team to establish priorities and set realistic goals, provides individual and group diabetes education and lifestyle counseling, and evaluates patient outcomes related to diabetes management and education.
The ADE CNS ensures program compliance with ADA Recognition standards and coordinates activities to maintain ADA recognition and recertification per the National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education.
The ADE CNS contributes to excellence in patient care, research, teaching, and provides leadership in the organization. The person in this position will also work to optimize the diabetes champion program at Duke Raleigh Hospital and will educate multidisciplinary team members on diabetes management and treatment. This position is ideal for someone who enjoys patient and staff education and would like the challenge of improving systems processes to provide the best patient care experience.
Work Hours & Shifts:
Full time, Monday – Friday day shifts
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- All three Duke Hospitals have received Magnet designation for excellence in nursing.
Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year as North Carolina’s Great 100 Nurses. Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification. Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle! Relocation Assistance! Tuition Reimbursement!
Specific Job Responsibilities and Standards
- Provides diabetes self-care management education for patients age 18 and older in compliance with ADA program guidelines, including intensive insulin therapy, insulin pump therapy, continuous glucose sensor monitoring and management of diabetes during pregnancy or diabetes resulting from treatment for another primary disease..
- Utilizes comprehensive assessment skills in the evaluation of learning and life-style modification needs and abilities in adult patients with diabetes.
- Support nursing staff in providing evidence-based diabetes education.
- Collaborate with nursing, medical, and nutrition staff to assess, diagnose, plan, identify priorities and realistic outcomes, and evaluate the effectiveness and cost efficiency of diabetes management and self-care education.
- Coordinates ADEP services to maximize patient outcomes and to accomplish the strategic objectives of the healthcare team and of the organization.
- Supports the development, implementation, and evaluation of standards of practice, guidelines, policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Assesses educational needs of patients/families and provide culturally-sensitive patient/family interventions through individual and group sessions, as indicated. Use non-technical language when educating patients/families. Document educational interventions in the patient’s medical record.
- Develops and maintain written patient education curriculum that reflects evidence and practice guidelines and includes the nine ADA-defined content areas. Ensures all appropriate institutional reviews and approvals are obtained.
- Documents patient assessment and education as required by TJC and ADA Recognition.
- Assesses educational needs of the Duke nursing staff and healthcare team members and provide one-on-one as well as formal education as needed
- Implements and evaluate appropriate educational programs for nursing staff, MDs, and other healthcare providers as appropriate.
- Role model and precept healthcare learners through contractual agreements.
- Contributes to the advancement of the profession as a whole by disseminating expert knowledge and outcomes of CNS practice through presentations and publications.
- Uses coaching and advanced communication skills to facilitate the development of effective clinical teams.
- Provides leadership in conflict management and negotiation to address problems in the healthcare system.
- Assists staff in the development of innovative, cost effective programs or protocols of care
- Establishes collaborative relationships within and across departments that promote patient safety, culturally competent care, and clinical excellence
- Advocates for diabetes awareness in the community by promoting health screenings and diabetes seminars as dictated by the needs of the health system, community and ADA Recognition requirements.
- Facilitates intra-agency and inter-agency communication.
- Provides leadership for establishing, improving, and sustaining collaborative relationships to meet clinical needs.
- Practices collegially with medical staff and other members of the healthcare team so that all providers’ unique contributions to health outcomes will be enhanced.
- Facilitates the provision of clinically competent care by staff/team through education, role modeling, teambuilding, and quality monitoring.
- Role models advanced practice professional nursing through conduct, appearance, communication, mutual respect, leadership, ethical decision-making, critical thinking, continuous learning and problem-solving skills
- Ensures program compliance with ADA Recognition standards and coordinates activities to maintain ADA recognition and recertification per the National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education.
- Performs system level assessments to identify variables that influence nursing practice and outcomes, including but not limited to:
- Population variables (age distribution, health status, income distribution, culture)
- Environment (schools, community support services, housing availability, employment opportunities)
- System of health care delivery
- Regulatory requirements
- Internal and external political influences/stability
- Health care financing
- Recurring practices that enhance or compromise patient or system outcomes.
- Determines nursing practice and system interventions that will promote patient, family and community safety.
- Uses effective strategies for changing clinician and team behavior to encourage adoption of evidence-based practices and innovations in care delivery.
- Provides leadership in maintaining a supportive and healthy work environment.
- Provides leadership in promoting interdisciplinary collaboration to improve care through:
- outcome-focused patient care programs
- performance improvement
- clinical research
Duke Entity DUKE RALEIGH HOSPITAL
Job Family Level G2
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Specific Job Responsibilities and Standards continued
Evidence based practice, Quality Improvement and Research
- Utilizes current research and evidence-based decision-making in all clinical practice.
- Promotes evidence-based practice through staff education and leadership in developing, implementing, and evaluating process standards such as plans of care, protocols, and guidelines.
- Provides leadership in measuring and documenting outcomes of the ADEP.
- Cultivates a climate of clinical inquiry across spheres of influence
- Fosters an interdisciplinary approach to quality improvement, evidence-based practice, research, and translation of research into practice
- Participates in establishing quality improvement agenda for unit, department, program, system, or population
- Uses quality monitoring data to assess the quality and effectiveness of clinical programs in meeting outcomes.
- Develops quality improvement initiatives based on assessments.
- Provides leadership in the design, implementation and evaluation of process improvement initiatives.
- Provides leadership in the system-wide implementation of quality improvements and innovations.
- Participates in and supports accreditation and regulatory activities of Duke Hospital.
- Participates in the conduct or implementation of research.
Ethical Decision-Making, Moral Agency and Advocacy Competency
- Engages in a formal self-evaluation process, seeking feedback regarding own practice, from patients, peers, professional colleagues and others
- Fosters professional accountability in self or others.
- Facilitates resolution of ethical conflicts
- Facilitates patient and family understanding of the risks, benefits, and outcomes of proposed healthcare regimen to promote informed decision making.
Education: Work requires completion of a minimum of a Master’s degree in Nursing
Licensure: Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the state of NC and CNS recognition by the NCBON
Certification: CNS certification strongly preferred,
CDE and/or Advanced Diabetes Management certification preferred
Experience: Work requires three years of nursing
Life support: BLS
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.