Ambulatory Care Nurse, Cardiology of Raleigh
Independently plan and provide professional nursing care for patients Duke Cardiology of Raleigh/Morrisville, which is an ambulatory clinic setting in accordance with the medical and nursing plans of care and established policies and procedures. Provide nursing services to patients and families in accordance with the scope of the RN as defined by the North Carolina Board of Nursing.
- Manage nurse line for telephone triage with patients, document encounter, follow protocols established by clinic leadership and inform provider as indicated. Monitor and address all triage related in baskets including My Chart patient advice & refill requests in baskets.
- Evaluate/Assess/Educate patient prior to procedures. Alert MD for necessary modifications prior to Cardiac ultrasound procedures.
- Start IV’s prior to procedures – calculate dose, prepare & titrate infusion & monitor patient - Dobutamine, Definity and saline.
- Administer medications to patients as ordered by providers or by established protocols following the six rights of medication administration.
- Handle prescription refills according to protocols
- Managing and performing PT/INR’s, EKG’s and applying monitors, as needed
- Monitors and orders department medications and medical supplies.
- Maintains department logs, educational materials and reports as required for accreditation and JCAHO (medications, equipment, crash cart)
- Perform intake with patients to include vital signs, visit information and other clinical information as indicated based on patients assessment and clinic staffing needs.
- Backup coverage for Raleigh Clinic, scheduling/triage and nuclear/echo department as needed. (Rotate through CDU two times a month)
- Clinical resource for all Unlicensed Assistive Personnel
- Assist in training new staff for cross-coverage & educational purposes
- Participates in performance improvement projects and/or acts as a liaison in various
- Clinic related projects.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Cardiology experience
- IV experience
- Triage experience
- Cardiology – EKG interpretation
- Preferred Specialty Certification
- Must be able to work under time pressures in a busy clinic/office environment.
- Must be present on site for 8 hour shifts during standard business hours.
- Must be able to stand, walk and/or sit for long periods of time.
- Must participate in group activities requiring interpersonal skills & cooperation.
- Must work as late person when scheduled or according to business needs
- Must be able to react quickly and immediately respond to emergencies.
- Must travel between locations on needed basis.
- Must be able to handle multiple assignments, conflicting demands & priorities.
- Must maintain attention to detail over extended period of time.
- Must be continually aware of variations in changing situations.
- Must be able to move throughout office environment throughout day.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Must be able to push/pull 250 lbs.
- Must be able to carry 25 lbs.
- Must be able to reach for objects by extending arms.
Duke Entity PRIVATE DIAGNOSTIC CLINICS
Job Family Level E1
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires graduation from an accredited BSN or Associate's Degree in Nursing or Nursing Diploma program. All registered nurses without a Bachelor's degree in Nursing (or higher) will be required to enroll in an appropriate BSN program within two years of their start date and to complete the program within five years of their start date.
Twelve months of appropriate clinical experience is required. At a manager's discretion, employees with 6 months of experience who are exceptional performers may be eligible for this level.