Journal Managing Editor
Purpose of Position:
This position will support the technical writing, editorial review, and publication of documents for the Energetics Research Group (ERG), a center operated by the Whiting School of Engineering. ERG is the U.S. national resource for worldwide research; data; information; and analysis of energetics, explosives and chemical, electrical and nuclear propulsion for missile, space, and gun propulsion systems.
Knowledge and Skill:
- Superior communication skills required, with ability to develop papers, presentation and reports, and represent the organization to the highest levels of US government sponsors and stakeholders. A work experience portfolio which includes support of multiple federal and DoD entities (service, civilian, contractor) strongly preferred.
- Special skills and knowledge: Superior communication skills required, with ability to develop papers, presentation and reports, and represent the organization to the highest levels of US government sponsors and stakeholders.
Education, Experience, Licensure, Certification:
- Identify the level required/preferred to perform this job.
- Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, Education or a related field required with 2 years of professional writing and editing experience in a technical or scientific field.
- Additional education may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
- Additional information: U.S. citizenship required.
Internal and External Contacts:
- Successful performance of these duties will require coordination and interaction with internal technical and operational team members, as well as US Government sponsors from multiple agencies.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Serve as Managing Editor and Lead Author for the research, development and publication of a comprehensive history of the Joint Army Navy NASA Air Force (JANNAF) Interagency Propulsion Committee.
- Coordinate with contributors to ensure adherence to content guidelines, including securing of necessary DoD approvals for publication and copyright, and interface with local printing subcontractor.
- Provide editing, typesetting, and final formatting of any and all volumes.
- Establish contributor guidelines, resource materials, and recommendations for overall format and content of the volume.
- Extensively research and catalog all relevant documents and findings for the technical history and contributions of JANNAF.
- Develop and manage schedule for the project.
- Lead editorial meetings for the volume.
- Represent the work at meetings and conduct outreach and interview as necessary to gather information and market the work.
- Provide editorial review and comment on ERG technical reports, manuscripts, and proposals where required.
Starting Salary Range: $25.74 to $35.43 per hour
Employee group: Casual / On Call
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: 25-MD:JH at Columbia Center
Department name: 10001507-Energetics Research Group
Personnel area: Whiting School of Engineering
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information