Senior Systems Engineer
George Washington (GW) Information Technology (it.gwu.edu) is the chief provider of technology infrastructure, services and applications at GW. GW IT partners with stakeholders across GW to equip students, staff and faculty with the technology know-how and tools necessary to achieve academic excellence. Reporting to the Director of Research Technology Services, the Senior Systems Engineer of Cyberinfrastructure works within the Division’s Planning & Strategic Initiatives department.
This senior position is responsible for supporting local and regional research cyberinfrastructure and will be integrated with diverse research teams with data-intensive research challenges requiring collaboration and innovating approaches around high performing networks and storage. This position will collaborate with local, regional, global, and education partners on technology solutions. These roles are the top individual contributing roles in systems engineering, typically with enterprise-wide scope, and sometimes provide oversight of other system administrators and student workers. This position often has a specific career focus and extensive research domain experience.
Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Department Specific Duties Include:
- • Core Facility and Researcher Support: Provides integration and planning services to solve complex data-intensive challenges and help researchers understand how to best leverage existing infrastructures and evaluate opportunities for enhancing those services.
- Regional Research Services and Smart Cities: Engages with local and global partners to understand current limitations or challenges in mixed network environments and works with cyber security and networking engineers to identify and deliver strategies for mitigating challenges.
- Regional Partnerships: Engages with IT and academic technology groups in K-12 Schools, Colleges, Institutes, Centers and other locations to educate our partners on the advantages and use of the research network; explaining the capabilities and collaborating on solving key equipment integration issues.
- Assists in the deployment and expansion of a regional cyberinfrastructure services and works closely with end users to consult on science workflow design issues and identify new opportunities to enhance the value of the advanced research cyberinfrastructure.
- Engages with GW’s Information Security, Privacy and Compliance offices to ensure that monitoring and integration with existing controls and security practices are followed during all engagements with internal and external partners and projects.
- Creation and maintenance of documentation and reporting for the GW regional cyberinfrastructure; documenting the environment and infrastructure (including systems for device configuration, routing plans, and security dependencies) and reporting on performance related metrics (e.g. collects, analyzes, and reports configuration and usage data by project).
- Actively participates and promotes participation in local forums and communities of practice advocating for the advancement of cyberinfrastructure and research excellence.
- Represents the Research Technology Services at industry and academic conferences and prepares and presents on RTS activities at regional, national, and international technical forums.
This position is located on the GW Foggy Bottom Campus in Washington, DC with frequent travel between campus and research locations in the DC Metro area.